Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Account Creation and Steup

I have decided to go the Mac Mini OS X Server route but I do have one critical backup / restore related question to ask...

I have come to understand that when I bind my MBA to the OS X Server that among many other things the binding process will create a NEW NETWORK USER ACCOUNT / ID on my MBA...I find this to be problematic because the NEW NETWORK USER ACCOUNT is essentially a clean install of OS X meaning that ALL of the applications, custom setup, files, etc. in my local account will not appear in the NEW NETWRO USER ACCOUNT. The thought of having to rebuild / recreate this is "crushing" and reason enough not to go down this route.

Is there a way -- and I hope that the answer is yes -- to use a CCC or TimeMachine backup of my local account to recreate / restore my local account (application, data, user settings, etc.) in my network account without deleting / replacing those items or settings that make it a network account (i.e. without converting the network account to a local account). Please tell me both that there is a way and how to do it.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 11:44 PM

9 replies

Aug 8, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, appreciate you taking the time to respond...I will try to explain the situation differently which I hope will be helpful.

1. Assuming my understanding is correct I should / would bind my MBA to my OS X Server ("OSXS") so that I could securely join the OSXS Network in order to available myself of the many benefits of so doing [i.e. DNS services to resolve internal URL addresses, etc.]. Is this correct?

2. Assuming my above understanding is correct then what account would I use to log onto the OSXS? It cannot be the MBA local account because that account is not setup as a network account [because as I understand things network accounts and local accounts cannot have the same user name]. As a result I need to log onto the OSXS using a network account. Is this correct?

3. Assuming my above understanding is correct then loging on to my MBA using my network account will result in a "desktop" that does not contain a) my applications, b) my configuration / customization ' setup" c) my data, d) etc. Is this correct?

4. Assuming my above understanding is correct then how can I get my local accounts applications, configurations, data, etc. to be part of my network account? This lead to my ask as to whether this is possible using CCC, TimeMachine, etc.

I hope the clears things up.

Thanks,

Joel

Aug 8, 2014 3:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, again appreciated...

I believe that I do need / want to binding for network services and mobile accounts based on my understanding of these [which, admittedly, may not be 100% perfect]:

1. I understand network to include this such as ability to logon from any computer and have access to my data, access to shares, "private" messaging, sharing of resources (i.e. printers, etc.). If this is not the correct understanding then please explain it to me.

2. I understand mobile accounts to be that my Home folder account will reside on both the server and my MBA to provide access and redundancy so for example a) I can log onto the network using any computer than is bound and have access to my desktop ii) were I to take my MBA to a meeting, add/ change files then when I reconnect to the OSXS then these changes will be synced to my home folder on the OSXS and iii) etc. If this is not the correct understanding then plead explain it to me.

Assuming the above is correct then do you agree that I need to bind my computer and, if it is not correct, perhaps you would be so kind to provide a more detailed explanation of what exactly binding is and does.

TIA,

Joel

Aug 18, 2014 4:55 AM in response to JoelcYYZ

Going back to my original question which remains somewhat unanswered as my understanding has evolved :

Quote:

Originally Posted by OP Now Writes:
I have come to understand that when I i) setup OS X Server ii) create a network user ID for myself [i.e. for purposes of this discussion let's call it NetUser] and iii) then want to log on to the OS X Server from my MBA that I will be logging on as NetUser [as opposed to logging on using the MBA's local user ID which for purposes of this discussion let's call LocalUSer].

If the above is correct then this is a problem because the NetUser accountT is essentially a clean install of OS X meaning that ALL of the applications, custom setup, files, etc. that I have painstakingly setup under LocalUser will not under NetUSer. The thought of having to rebuild / recreate this is "crushing" and reason enough not to go down this route.

My related question are:

1. Is there a way -- and I hope that the answer is yes -- to use a CCC or TimeMachine backup of LocalUser to recreate / restore my local account (application, data, user settings, etc.) in NetUser?

Please note that this document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5338 does not apply in this situation because it applies to the situation where the OS X Server admin wants to changes an OS X Server local account to an OS X Server Network account.

2. Would I be able to accomplish the above by installing and configuring OS X Server on my MBA [i.e. would LocalUSer then morph into NetUser?] and then cloning that setup onto my machine that I ultimately want to use as my server?

TIA,

Joel

Network Account Creation and Steup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.