Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad offline reading list not working

Hi,

I have tried to use reding list on my ipad, but even though I have icloud set up for safari it does not seem to save the pages for offline reading.

Whenever I try to open an entry from my reding list offline i get a message saying it can't load the page as I have no internet connection?

Am I missing something? Please help!!

Ben

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 4:50 AM

26 replies

Aug 8, 2014 6:17 AM in response to bensaunders

I think Demo is pointing to your problem. Once you add something to your reading list you do not access it from the URL box. You access it from the open book icon just to the right of the URL in the upper right corner of your screen. Once there you select the eye glasses tab. Your reading list should now be visible. Tap the one you're interested in. This is a little off topic but iCloud has no effect on this functionality.

Also check out the link at the bottom of this page under "More like this": Re: Why is Safari not available for offline reading?

That discussion has screen shots of what I am referring to.

Aug 8, 2014 6:50 AM in response to pete deville

Also when you are offline (in Airplane Mode or whatever) and reading something from your Reading List if that content has a hyperlink and you tap it you will of course get a "no Internet connection" error msg as that referenced page wasn't downloaded to your Reading List. It would be like a room of mirrors to download all content to all hyperlinks contained in a page.

Aug 17, 2014 8:45 PM in response to freediverx01

From what I can tell it doesn't work offline at all (tested on iOS 7 on an iPhone).

Can anyone here click any item in the reading list without an internet connection and still view page content?

Most items have 'not available for offline reading' in my list descriptions too, these are the older items since I don't use this feature 🙂

Instead I'd suggest Instapaper or any of the other 'read later' apps in the store.

As ever bugs go here…

http://apple.com/feedback/

Aug 17, 2014 9:25 PM in response to Drew Reece

MMine has always worked on my iPad and worked fine 30 seconds ago. I use it quite a bit. IOS 7.1.2 ipad 2. This is an iPad forum and I haven't tried it on an iPhone. To debug the problem I would ask the folks to download a simple short article into their reading list now. Then put their iPad into Airplane mode. Then try to access the article from their Reading List and see what happens. If this is successful may be the problem involves old articles downloaded before an IOS update? Before the latest backup to iCloud? Something else?

Aug 18, 2014 2:07 PM in response to bobseufert

I can't get it to work as you describe. The top item was made a minute before taking the screenshots & was cached in Safari and worked on wifi via the reading list.

This is with wifi on …

User uploaded file

This is with Wifi off seconds later…

User uploaded file

Weirdly the last item does load when offline.

PS. I do have 'Use mobile data for reading list' disabled in Safari's prefs. If I enable that & enable mobile data items load & then disappear again when mobile data is disabled. I have 1.1GB of free space so I's expect it to be able to cache pages, but it isn't the behaviour I see.

Aug 18, 2014 4:59 PM in response to bensaunders

bensaunders wrote:

Very frustrating!

Instapaper, Read it later, Pocket, Offline Reader… there are many choices in the store to work around this.

The other option is to backup, factory reset & see if it starts to work, then restore the backup & see if it continues. I never really cared for the feature enough to try to resolve it, Instapaper reformats articles in a better way IMO.

Aug 19, 2014 12:55 PM in response to bensaunders

Very interestingly I finally able to reproduce your symptoms with my iPad 2 wifi + 3G IOS 7.1.2 after never experiencing a problem before. Unfortunately I was flailing around with resets, iCloud settings etc... and can not reproduce it again. What did fix it was manually turning off my wifi, bluetooth and 3G individually (versus using Airplane Mode). When I initially set Airplane Mode on it was still hosed. This probably won't be helpful to you other than indicating that some type of bug is lurking out there related to Reading List functionality. (Bluetooth is relevant here as you can tether your iPad to an iPhone with bluetooth or wifi.)

iPad offline reading list not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.