Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add to this plist?

There is a plist file that I want to add an entry to, if the entry already exists I also don't want to cause a duplicate of it to appear. This is what the plist file current would look like.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Birthday</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Announcements</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Photos</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Contains Original Stationery</key>
  <string>yes</string>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Stationery</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Sentiments</string>
  </dict>
</array>
</plist>

I want to add another entry of

<dict>
<key>Folder Name</key>
<string>My Folder</string>
</dict>

So the new file should look like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Birthday</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Announcements</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Photos</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Contains Original Stationery</key>
  <string>yes</string>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Stationery</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>Folder Name</key>
  <string>Sentiments</string>
  </dict>
</array>
</plist>

In OS X as standard there are two commands for modifying plist files, these are /usr/bin/defaults and /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy I would be happy to use either or any other built-in command but ideally it needs to be something built-in.

Many thanks for any help.

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 5:27 AM

12 replies

Aug 8, 2014 3:55 PM in response to John Lockwood

Mucking around with plists is a delicate matter and is an esoteric art. Accourding to the manpage, something along these lines might work. Copy the plist to the Desktop and play around with it until you ascertain the correct syntax.

PlistBuddy Add :CFBundleDocumentTypes:0 dict "<key>Folder Name</key>
"

Alternatively, open the file in a text editor or use the nano command, add the lines, and save it as a plist. Ensure that the permissions remained as the original and just replace it with the modified one.

Aug 11, 2014 4:24 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Thank you both for your responses. I tried Mark's answer first and it added a new entry exactly like I needed. I would now like a similar method to delete the same entry that your answer added. This will enable a tidy uninstall process to be achieved.

For what its worth, I had just prior to both your responses come up with a quick and dirty solution to both adding and removing entries which involves running a Perl command. However I feel PlistBuddy is likely to be a more robust solution.

Here was my Perl command to add an entry -

perl -i -pe 'BEGIN{undef $/;} s/<\/array>.*<\/plist>/\t<dict>\n\t\t<key>Folder Name<\/key>\n\t\t<string>My Folder<\/string>\n\t<\/dict>\n<\/array>\n<\/plist>/smg' "/Library/Application Support/Apple/Mail/Stationery/Apple/Contents/Resources/TableOfContents.plist"

and the corresponding Perl to remove the same entry -

perl -i -pe 'BEGIN{undef $/;} s/\n\t<dict>\n\t\t<key>Folder Name<\/key>\n\t\t<string>My Folder<\/string>\n\t<\/dict>//smg' "/Library/Application Support/Apple/Mail/Stationery/Apple/Contents/Resources/TableOfContents.plist"

Aug 11, 2014 2:29 PM in response to Mark Jalbert

The problem with that is that PlistBuddy's Print doesn't reveal the element's number if there are multiple ones in an array. Only something like Property List Editor, XCode, or PlistEditor can do that. Then, there's the problem with the syntax for each dict element. Poorly written manpages don't help.

E.g., in the user's .GlobalPrefs there's a text substitution array with dict entries and no element numbers. Here's a portion:

Dict {        NSUserDictionaryReplacementItems = Array {

Dict {

replace = c/o

on = 1

with = ℅

}

Dict {

replace = ...

on = 1

with = …

}

Dict {

replace = 1/2

on = 1

with = ½

}

}

}

Aug 11, 2014 4:46 PM in response to John Lockwood

This is one of the things that applescript is good at:

tell application "System Events"

set markupFile to property list file "/path/to/XML file.xml"

tell markupFile

makenewproperty list itemat beginning of property list itemswith properties {value:{|folder name|:"My Folder"}}

end tell

end tell

If you need to run it from the command line you can use osascript to call a precompiled script or build the script line-by-line.

Aug 12, 2014 2:27 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Thanks again Mark, I can see how that will work by referencing a specific entry number i.e. first, second etc. however this then leads on to the next issue of how to determine in a script which entry number matches a particular string value.

My Perl solution just matches the string and enclosing tags and does not care about what position - first, second, last, it is. Obviously one cannot assume a particular entry will always be in a particular position.

Thanks everyone for their contributions.

Oct 8, 2015 8:27 AM in response to John Lockwood

What I'm trying to do is similar.

I need to create a simple shell script to call on PlistBuddy to add a new string (/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Script Menu.menu) to the existing "menuExtras" array in the file from the screenshot below.

The syntax is killing me. I just can't find the right combination from the examples I've found. This is a copy of the real plist file to test first.

The purpose is to enable the Script Menu in the menubar when one of my users installs a new AppleScript from Casper Suite's Self Service app.

User uploaded file

How do I add to this plist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.