Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download iBooks in another language

I Live in the Uk. My iPad is set up for the Uk. I want to download French or German books. How Do I do that?

iPad, Air

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 1:29 PM

5 replies

Aug 13, 2014 2:49 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I bought my first ever ipad (Air) about a week ago. And I am really enjoying the iBook experience. We are an Italian family living in Australia and some of us can only read in Italian. I am really surprised that at this level of technology, we cannot choose something as simple as what language we would like our iBooks in. If this is to protect the artificial country restrictions, then this is really poor. Australia is a multi-cultural country, I'm sure the UK is as well.

However, I do have a helpful tip for you Sfromtring. In the search box, type in the foreign words that might be in the titles of the books you're looking for. For example, some members of my family like those silly romance novels (not me), so I type in Italian words that might be in the title like fire (fuoco), love (amore), etc. And the results actually come up with Italian books!

Alternately, you could just do a separate web search of the books you'd like, and then type in the TITLE in iBookstore.

It's disappointing you need to do this at all, but I'm sure Apple will fix this oversight.

BTW Apple I am REALLY loving the iBook experience, I can just tap on words to look up definitions, I can highlight important stuff which is then all conveniently listed for easy access. Oh why didn't I know about this during University?

My only rant so far, is that I purchased an iBook only to discover it was about forty per-cent more expensive than the paperback. Oh well 😁

Aug 13, 2014 3:07 AM in response to Faerionix

For info these are user-to-user forums, you're not talking to Apple nor iTunes Support.

The language(s) that an ibook is available in in a particular country is set by the rights-holders, Apple can only sell items (and in particular languages) where they are granted licenses to sell it. If there is a book that you'd like to be able to buy in Italian then you can try requesting that it be added to the Australian store, but unless the rights-holder agrees to it then Apple won't be able to sell it there : http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

How to download iBooks in another language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.