Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to write your own drums track in Garageband 10.0.2?

Hello People!

I just finished updating garageband to version 10.0.2. It has changed a bit.

Now my question is: is it possible to write your own drums track (like i did in previous versions)? Or you have to stick to the loops and preset drum parts? Anyone? Thanx a lot 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 4:45 PM

Indeed, GarageBand has changed significantly. 🙂

I hope, you did not delete the older version, because some features of GarageBand '11 are no longer supported in GarageBand 10.0. You may want to use both versions. You will find GarageBand's old instruments in the "Legacy" section of the library.

And yes, GarageBand 10.0 has drum kits, that can play your own drum tracks. I don't remember, if the drum kits came with the basic version. Have you upgraded by installing the in-app purchase? Since you previously owned GarageBand, you should be able to download it using the command "GarageBand > Restore Purchase". see this link: Expanding GarageBand for Mac (v10.0) content with an in-app purchase

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2014 4:45 PM in response to LesPaul85

Indeed, GarageBand has changed significantly. 🙂

I hope, you did not delete the older version, because some features of GarageBand '11 are no longer supported in GarageBand 10.0. You may want to use both versions. You will find GarageBand's old instruments in the "Legacy" section of the library.

And yes, GarageBand 10.0 has drum kits, that can play your own drum tracks. I don't remember, if the drum kits came with the basic version. Have you upgraded by installing the in-app purchase? Since you previously owned GarageBand, you should be able to download it using the command "GarageBand > Restore Purchase". see this link: Expanding GarageBand for Mac (v10.0) content with an in-app purchase

Aug 9, 2014 1:38 AM in response to léonie

First of all thank you for your kind reply 🙂

The thing is: with my previous (old) version of GB i could write every single beat of every single piece of the drumkit. Now it seems i can only modify the complexity and "feel" of a sample that's already given... This is very limiting, since I won't be able to write drum parts freely... Is that accurate?

Or do you mean these features only come with the purchased version?

Thanx again 🙂

Aug 9, 2014 2:02 AM in response to LesPaul85

The thing is: with my previous (old) version of GB i could write every single beat of every single piece of the drumkit. Now it seems i can only modify the complexity and "feel" of a sample that's already given..

You arecreating a Drummer track, right? That is a smart instrument, that plays on its own.

If you want to write your own drum part, use a regular software instrument (Track > New Track >Software Instrument).

Select a drum machine patch from the Library and don't use the smart Drummer track SoCal and Co. Your drum tracks should be green and yellow-brown.

User uploaded file

Is it possible to write your own drums track in Garageband 10.0.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.