Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraind Memory on a MacPro

I would like to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Pro. I have a Mac Pro 5.1 from late 2009. It has two Quad core Xeon processors running at 2.4 GHz. Currently it has 8 GB of RAM and I'd like to expand it to at least 16 GB. When I look inside the Mac Pro, I see four memory slots with two closest to the edge being occupied. But when I run the system information app, it tells me there are eight slots with four of them occupied. Can someone explain this discrepancy me? Also where is the best place to get ram for my Mac? If you happen to know the exact model number for the ram, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Kory

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.39f11

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

DIMM Slots 1, 2, 5, 6 (slots 3, 4, 7, and 8 are marked as "empty"):

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR3 ECC

Speed: 1066 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x80AD

Part Number: 0x484D54313235553754465238432D48392020

Serial Number: 0x33303188

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 9:14 PM

2 replies

Aug 9, 2014 11:53 AM in response to KoryH

User uploaded file

The lower picture on the right shows your Dual Socket "slide-out shelf". It has four memory slots on the front, and four more behind the second Chip cooler at the back. Each "side" is operated independently, so slots 1, 2, 3 and 4 are one set, and 5, 6, 7, and 8 are an independent set. You should take advantage of the slide out to completely remove the shelf for this upgrade.

The economics of these DIMMs at this writing are such that the best price-point is the 8GB DIMM -- I recommend you NOT buy smaller than 8GB DIMM today. Install modules by the each on each of the two sides. Populating three sockets on a side give a minuscule speed up. Populating the fourth socket on a side gives a slight slowdown, so do not install a 0.5GB module there unless you really need it.

Also, blast accumulated dust up and out of your Mac with compressed air, taking care to not spin any of the fans including the fans inside the Chip coolers too briskly or they may be damaged. Do not use a household vacuum unless it is rated for use with electronic equipment, as these generate huge electronics-killing static charges long before you can feel the Zap.

The memory upgrade manual kaz-k linked in is very helpful, BUT -- it is a concatenation of the manuals for ALL the Silver Tower Mac Pros. Be sure to move carefully to the correct section for your specific model Mac Pro, and do not accidentally scroll into the next section for a different model.

Upgraind Memory on a MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.