Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cursor has frozen on a word document - how can I unfreeze it without closing or force quitting Word?

My cursor has frozen on a word document - how can I unfreeze it without closing or force quitting Word? I am a writer and have multiple documents going at any one time - I think this may be partly the cause for the freeze. I would rather not force quit because there are too many documents that may have been added to that weren't saved. Im not so keen on the auto recovery process Please help!! Aussie OSX 10.8.5 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Writer working on multiple document

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 12:31 AM

1 reply

Aug 9, 2014 1:35 AM in response to greengirl358

If you click outside a Word document, is the cursor movement normal? And if you select Force Quit does the tag next to Word say "Not Responding"?

I'm afraid that the only way to get out of your predicament is to Force Quit Word. If you had auto-save on, you may or may not be able to recover some of your documents. I sometimes have up to 12 Word documents or so loaded at one time, so your problem shouldn't be put down to you having multiple documents open.

Sorry that I couldn't really help - I just don't see any way of getting out of your predicament. You MAY want to try pressing the command and period keys at the same time, but I really don't think that will stop anything.

Clinton

My cursor has frozen on a word document - how can I unfreeze it without closing or force quitting Word?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.