Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Listener.bundle? Why does my Mac keep asking to load it?

What is listener.bundle? Why does my Mac keep asking to load it?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 5:06 AM

13 replies

Dec 22, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Sk8erStan

Hi, Sk8erStan. I don't exactly know how/what your (or my) listener.bundle works/does, but for me, this became an issue when I downloaded the network scanning software "driver" for my Lexmark printer. Apparently this lets the Mac receive a request over wi-fi from the networked printer to set up, receive, and save a scan datafile. Essentially it lets the printer control the Mac. Which is OK and worked fine in my case .. EXCEPT every 5 or 10 minutes I get a pop-up alert asking me if I want to DENY or ALLOW my "listener bundle" app .. from listening. Really irritating and I have not yet figured out how to turn that off. If you have solved your problem, please post your solution and what you learned. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2015 8:45 AM in response to backseatdriver

I am also getting this all of a sudden, nothing has changed on my network, still using my Brother MFC but getting the listener.bundle message every 10 mins or so, very frustrating. I tried the solution listed to no success. Anyone got any idea how to cure this.

I may try deinstall reinstall of the printer but dont see why I need to as like I said nothing has changed!

Simon

Oct 5, 2015 5:46 PM in response to Sk8erStan

I looked it up and found the listener bundle on the Lexmark is necessary for printing from an iPad or other device via wifi. It is very annoying,

however, because it keeps popping up all the time. Don't understand why. The message says it can be controlled from the Security and Privacy

under System Preferences, but I could not find any such thing there.

Feb 1, 2016 6:01 AM in response to backseatdriver

I've had a problem with this message for a while now, and the LexMark solution is not working for me. I have no experience with Terminal, and am not sure I'm doing the steps correctly, but after a restart the popups remain. When I search my computer for "listener" or "listener.bundle" nothing comes up. Is there another fix or should I take it up with LexMark?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS 10.11.2

Feb 1, 2016 9:16 AM in response to dwrhein

I've had this problem also but with my Dell wi-fi printer, it's very irritating! To fix it I went into Library/Printers/Dell (or whichever printer you use for wifi printing) and it was in /Scan

My solution was to delete the file listener.bundle then restart my iMac

I then tried to print from my iPhone and iPad ... both worked. Then I tried to scan on my printer and it worked as well. It used to happen on my MBP and I had fixed it but had forgotten about it until I purchased my new iMac and when I went into Security and turned on the Firewall that is when it started to happen almost instantly. Thank you to all that posted on here with your solutions. I hope this is helpful.

Feb 3, 2016 12:50 PM in response to dwrhein

I have the same issue. This is so problematic. It is really frustrating. I followed the step by step directions provided by Backseatdriver using terminal. It does nothing. It yielded no results. The listener bundle is a hidden file. I do not know where to find it. If I could, believe me I would. I tried looking for the file and as a hidden file. Nothing generates. I have followed Lexmark's step by step. That also does not work. I have contacted Lexmark and for a fee, they can remove the problem. Come on!!! I stupidly attempted to link my email from my Lexmark printer to my computer so that I could scan document directly from my printer to my email. This is where I went wrong. Once I initiated these steps, the Listener Bundle was forever implanted onto my computer. Now all I get like everyone viewing these posts....is the annoying non-stop Listener Bundle pop-up every 5 to 10 minutes. And all these supposed solutions.....NONE of them work. I want direction that is truly going to remove this issue. I have spent hours upon hours attempting to resolve this problem to no avail.

Jun 3, 2016 6:42 PM in response to Sk8erStan

Ok people try this... On your Mac go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Click on the lock (Lower left side corner) to open > Click on Firewall > Firewall Options. You will see a list of incoming connections. Listener.bundle will probably be marked “RED”(Blocked). Right Click on Listener.bundle to show “Show in finder” and click on it. A finder folder will open with the infamous Listener.bundle 👿 ready to be deleted/trashed. Restart your Mac and its gone.

Comment if you find it useful..

Cheers!😎

What is Listener.bundle? Why does my Mac keep asking to load it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.