Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I uninstall iBooks from my MacBook Pro?

how do I uninstall iBooks from my MacBook Pro if a message pops up saying: "iBooks app cannot be modified or deleted because its requires by OS X"???

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 5:31 AM

14 replies

Oct 20, 2014 4:24 PM in response to boralao

No, you're missing the entire forest and the trees. Whatever it is you are trying to accomplish by hacking iBooks off of your system, it is not an informed decision that will benefit you in any way. To increase rather than decrease the load on iTunes by returning the book library view to it would tend to make iTunes worse, wouldn't it? Certainly, not being able to open your books there in any way can't be an improvement. If you have books that used to show up in iTunes, and that is where you want them displayed, then you have books that will be read on iBooks on iOS or OS X. If you're just shifting ePubs into some other reader on your mobile devices, you wouldn't put them into your iTunes library at all, and iBooks would be empty anyway.

And beside that, you're hosed in Yosemite with those maneuvers, so again, accomplishing absolutely nothing but scratching a very silly itch that is much worse as the rash you're creating. Did you delete the unnecessary keyboards and language files first, because that will save a lot more space. Did you cull the unnecessary kexts for your hardware? You know, things that actually do something valuable with a measurable benefit and no downside. If iBooks is such a pressure on your life that you have to get rid of it, how would you know? Do you torture yourself by opening iBooks everyday and then screaming in pain? If you can live without it installed, then you would not normally be opening it anyway, so it would have about the same affect on you as Migration Assistant or Chess, unless you deliberately sought it out.

Aug 15, 2014 6:37 AM in response to boralao

It's easy to remove this garbage program (at least from OS X up to 10.9).

If you want to get rid of iBooks and have the Books back in iTunes:

1.) Kill the bookstoreagent service using the Activity Monitor.

2.) Delete the file for that service: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/bo okstoreagent

3.) Use AppCleaner (do a Google search for this, download it and run it) to get rid of iBooks.

4.) Shut down iTunes.

5.) Restart iTunes and reimport your books into iTunes

6.) Go to iTunes preferences/General and make sure that Books is checked.

7.) You should have your books back in iTunes.

Unfortunately, this does NOT work in Yosemite so I'm stuck with this crap program.

Oct 22, 2014 2:11 PM in response to boralao

Hi, Bookstoreagent is now BKAgent in Yosemite. You can find the process in Activity Monitor. Get Info on the process and it will show you where the executable lives in the library folder.

You can remove iBooks by showing the package contents, deleting the contents and then using sudo rmdir command on the iBooks app.

I have just done this and the books tab is back in itunes, although iBooks has already worked it's magic on my carefully added metadata.

Listen, Listen — this thread is for people who have large collections of PDFs that we have been successfully managing through iTunes for quite some time. Without warning our libraries habe been migrated to iBooks and have had the metadata removed. Imagine if iTunes did that to all your music! If you don't understand what we are trying to achieve then kindly refrain from posting dirkhead responses. This thread is not about where Apple stores our 50 Shades of Grey novel or lates Dean Koontz release.

Chris.

Mar 25, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Listen

before I upgraded to Yosemite, I removed iBooks from Mavericks to solve a problem I was getting every time I synced my iPads with the Mac.

Books would go missing off the iPads, and I would have to download them again. My organised filing system would get messed up on my iPad.

After removing iBooks from Mavericks this problem was resolved and I had the old, and very easy to organise and understand, way of handling books with iTunes again. It worked perfectly. I never read books on the Mac, that's what I have the iPad for.

Now I've got Yosemite and iBooks again.

Now I've got the same problem every time I sync the iPad again.

iBooks cannot be removed from Yosemite like we could before, so hooray for team Apple and their o-so-wonderfully useless iBooks disaster.

Mar 30, 2015 7:41 AM in response to bobbd

yep done all that, there is still one problem, iBooks cannot be removed from my mac, it is 'a part of OS X' so it has a little 'lock' symbol on it, and cannot be removed, by dragging it to the trash, or by using AppCleaner or the likes.

I've followed all the other steps, extra ones found on other sites include navigating to special files to be deleted, which AppCleaner probably finds if you use that. I've removed everything, but cannot actually uninstall iBooks.

iTunes still will not manage books.

And now I cannot launch iBooks anymore either.

So I have to manage all my books on the iPad and never do another sync with iTunes until I can resolve this.

The one real outstanding question is How do you remove an app that is 'LOCKED' or listed as a critical part of the OS X??

Mar 30, 2015 5:39 PM in response to bobbd

Yes when I try to uninstall iBooks with AppCleaner by dragging the app into AppCleaner, it just flies back into its folder a wont stick to AppCleaner, and if I go into select apps within the AppCleaner window, it won't let me select iBooks.

When I manually go to ibooks and right click it, and select "send to trash" - I get a message that says "The aplication cannot be removed or modified because it is a part of OS X"

i never get asked for my password or anything.

it just won't let me do it.

thats why I posed the question in bold print in my last post.

how do I uninstall iBooks from my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.