Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.3.1.2 Crashes whenever the Podcast Refresh button is clicked

I've seen several issues on the community relating to Podcasts. Whenever I click on the Podcast refresh button on the new version of iTunes, I get the pop-up with "iTunes has stopped working". I am on Windows 8.1.

Sony VAIO-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 7:19 AM

This morning I changed the Podcast Settings to update automatically "Every hour", saved the settings, and the Refresh button works as normal. Changed the Settings back to "Every day" and it still works.

15 replies

Aug 26, 2014 9:37 PM in response to Bobsk8

Yep, iTunes and iOS have gotten worse and worse and worse for podcasts over the past year or so. And while I like other things about iOS, the ONLY reason I used it was great podcast support.

I've at least temporarily fixed the crashing by holding control + shift when I launched iTunes (which prompted me for admin rights, for some reason), and at least for now fixed it. We'll see if it's actually permanent.

Aug 28, 2014 8:37 PM in response to Wolfpup

I'm having the same problem. I have it set to manually refresh and it crashes as soon as I try to refresh to download new podcasts. I finally got it to work by playing a podcast and then I could refresh it. It only started with this latest update 11.3.1.2. Last night it also set all the podcasts to alert ⚠ signifying "iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently." I manually copy them to iPod so it probably doesn't think I've listened to them but this is the first time this has happened also. I sure hope this is fixed soon.

Aug 29, 2014 8:50 AM in response to MartaRo

Yep, besides the crashing and everything else they've ruined in the past year, they've also made it so it periodically disables checking for new podcasts. You have to manually go through your list every few days and enable any it's "helpfully" disabled regardless of how you have it set.

They've even somehow messed up my podcast playlists on my iPod classic to where they won't display on the Classic (or rather it shows there are two or three playlists or whatever, but clicking the playlists menu does nothing).

I really get the feeling that most companies-now including Apple-have no idea what a podcast is nor how people would use them.

Aug 29, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Bobsk8

LOL yeah, not so much. I actually got a 5s when it launched because of Apple's podcast support...and then it turns out they've been breaking it left and right. I switched to a Nokia when my 5s' lightning port quit working (as happened also with 2 iPod touch 5s I had previously...)

Now I'm just muddling along with my iPod classic and hoping I don't have to go back to manually keeping podcasts in sync like pre-2005!

Sep 7, 2014 11:48 AM in response to Bobsk8

Was release 11.3.1.2 supposed to fix this? I thought I read that somewhere. However I can consistently crash iTunes by clicking the "refresh" recycle button in the Podcast detailed list view. I re-installed/repaired iTunes but no joy. This program has been working well although a bit bloated and laggy. I turned off podcast automatic refresh in hopes a manual refresh will at least keep the application up. When is next update release?

According to 11.3.1.2 "What’s new in iTunes"

"iTunes 11.3.1 addresses a problem where subscribed podcasts may stop updating with new episodes and resolves an issue where iTunes may become unresponsive while browsing your podcasts episodes in a list."

That area isn't finished -- fixes weren't well tested it appears. So now there's collateral damage.

Any comments/advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Summary fault info below (Win 7 platform):

Faulting application name: iTunes.exe, version: 11.3.1.2, time stamp: 0x53dc1f90

Faulting module name: iTunes.dll, version: 11.3.1.2, time stamp: 0x53dc1f7c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00e0d157

Faulting process id: 0x1670

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfcac4e0ed07df

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.dll

Report Id: 3c9e8614-36b8-11e4-9a5a-c89cdc7b11e1

Sep 15, 2014 10:47 AM in response to Bobsk8

So far so good! (Knock on wood)

Of course it's still more annoying than it was a bit over a year ago, "helpfully" not updating podcasts until I click to update them, iOS still awful, and my iPod classic is somehow corrupt (even if I restore it) so I can't use playlists on it, but... well, at least it's not crashing 300x per day lol

11.3.1.2 Crashes whenever the Podcast Refresh button is clicked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.