Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.3.1 stops working when opened in 'Podcasts' view

After the latest update installed in last few days on Windows 7, iTunes often crashes on startup, at about the time it is accessing iTunes store (fine before the update). It does not happen if iTunes is opened in 'Music' view, but changing then to the 'Podcasts' view and clicking the podcast 'refresh' button causes crash again. It is worse on some user accounts than others.

Have tried:

- Complete reinstallation of iTunes

- Deleting preferences files in the Local and Roaming directories.

- Copying a QT dll to the iTunes program files directory (as mentioned on another thread)

- The other suggestions in this link iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues

Any ideas?

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 7:51 AM

77 replies

Aug 10, 2014 3:56 AM in response to darkbossman

Start iTunes is Safe Mode.

Refer to this article: iTunes: Troubleshooting issues with third-party iTunes plug-ins which gives you steps for starting iTunes in Safe Mode. Note the article has instructions for both OS X (Mac) and the different versions of Windows.

I too had the problem with Podcasts, so was delighted to see an update which addressed it. However, like all of you, after the update to 11.3, clicking on Refresh (Podcasts) caused iTunes to stop working. I then started iTunes in Safe Mode but saw no message about entering Safe Mode (as mentioned in the article). Despite this, Refresh Podcasts then worked. That was yesterday. This morning, I have started my iTunes in normal mode and had no issues.

I suggest you read the article, as there are important points about showing hidden files and what to do if the problem persists. In my case, the problem did not persist. Note also, that the article mentions third-party plug-ins as the cause of the problem. As far as I am aware, I did not have any third-party plug-ins, so the title of the article is somewhat misleading.

Aug 10, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Malvern Hills

I have a similar issue with the new update. iTunes stops working when I listen to a podcast or if I download a podcast episode. I get the error message "iTunes stopped working". I have restarted the computer several times. It makes no difference.

I have reinstalled iTunes all over since I first had problems with installing the update. I got an error 2324.

Windows 8.

Aug 10, 2014 10:33 AM in response to terrie22737

terrie22737 wrote:

I just tried opening it in safe mode and it still crashed on me.

In that case, Apple's advice is to move on to this article; iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues which suggests creating a new user account, to see if the problem continues. It also mentions looking for other system-wide issues and in particular, suggests that you make sure your anti-virus software is up-to-date and running.

terrie22737 wrote:

What is with these updates lately?

I share your concerns.

Aug 10, 2014 10:38 AM in response to sethm1

sethm1 wrote:

Fixed.

I uninstalled 11.3 1 and then installed the previous version.

Although that may have worked for you, installing a previous version of iTunes (or any computer programme) is a risky move. The best advice always advises against going back to a previous version. If a newer version of iTunes changes something about the files that cannot be understood by an older version, you may find your iTunes Library becomes unusable.

Aug 11, 2014 12:31 AM in response to sethm1

Since the original post I've tried various permutations of fixes/workarounds on several of the user accounts - still no luck. Looks like a bug.

Whilst trying several things I made the mistake of attaching my iPod, which appeared to sync, but when I used it today, it had no podacsts, music or anything listed, despite being nearly full.

What is frustrating is that I've just ordered an iPod as a present for someone, but until this is fixed, I am reluctant to introduce them to the world of iTunes.

iTunes 11.3.1 stops working when opened in 'Podcasts' view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.