Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

needing help with printer connection

My computer is a MacOS X 10.6.8 and my printer is an Epson Stylus nx420. They are 3 years old and in good condition normally. My printer suddenly won't print and when i checked systems it says a communication error occurred and to check all connections. I even changed 2 ink cartridges hoping that might do something. Any ideas? a power failure occurred yesterday for a short time as we noticed the clocks were slightly off. Could that have done something?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 8:21 AM

Try restarting the printer and the computer. Is the printer a network printer or is it attached to the computer?

Try resetting the printing system.

Reset Printing System

3 replies

Aug 10, 2014 5:27 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you so much. I struggled for quite a while trying to figure it out. When i thought it might be a defective USB cable I decided to go to the Office max store. There while I was speaking to an employee who also suggested restarting and resetting the computer ( not that i knew how to do that) it dawned on me that the WIFI light on the printer was not lit and had been previously lit when in use. It seems that I had bought the computer and printer before I had purchased my IPAD and once i got the IPAD my friend set up the WIFI in the house. It was like a light went off in my head. He explained how to go to network settings on the printer and I was able to put in the network name for my home on the printer using the arrows for the alphabet etc. and then in following the directions on the printer it turned on the wifi. Then i courageously eliminated the printer and added it back but i somehow have two listed now but the one which represents the wifi using printer works. So somehow the power failure that had occurred had shut off the wifi on the printer and i hadn't realized it because i had never thought about it for the past 3 years. I was very proud of myself since i am slightly older and slightly not very knowledgeable about systems but with help from Googling Epson printer and Apple support communities and very helpful techy people who love computers and work at OfficeMax I was able to do it . I hope this explanation can also help someone else who might not realize that a power failure can knock out wifi on certain items like printers. Thank you Eric - your advice was on the right track.

needing help with printer connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.