Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume drops when watching videos

Hey everyone.

I have the iPad 4th Gen (first year it went Lightning cable) and everything works. My issue stems from when I'm watching videos. It starts perfectly fine, but after 2-3 seconds, the volume drops. It's quite frustrating and annoying, as it happens in EVERY video that plays, regardless of app I'm in. Is this a random phenomenon with my iPad, a setting issue, or is this one of those quirky things Apple does to its users, where you just don't have control?

Thanks for the help.

Rene

iPad, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 11:52 AM

12 replies

Aug 11, 2014 6:33 AM in response to BSRG

Hi BSRG,

If you are having issues with your iPad dropping the sound volume when playing videos you may want to try a couple of things to troubleshoot.

First, I would try restarting the iPad -

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1430

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPad as a new device -

iOS: How to back up your data and set up your device as a new device

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Aug 31, 2014 1:14 PM in response to Brett L

Brett,

I can't believe that this is you solution. Hey your car make a funny noise, go and have the engine changed!

WOW, I've been a computer tech since the 80's and I can't believe that this is the kind of service Apple is offering or is it because you simply follow a flow chart and those are the only 2 solutions on them? I'm sorry if I sound mad but this is unacceptable. I've heard about this kind of reply from support from my sister how's a graphic artist and she has been told while on the phone with support for a crash issue for her Mac to simply reinstall the OS right then and there! I don't have to tell you that she told off the support person. Same thing here, what kind of advice is that?

I Have the exact same problem with my iPad 4 so I'm pretty sure it's a software issue so why instead don't you take note of it and simply pass it along to the programmers how can than fix the issue and add it to the next update?

Come on Apple, you just love charging more for your products because there "so good" but when it come time to help with a problem, you offer sub-standard support. Maybe I'm being to harsh... But I think not!

PHilippe

Mar 15, 2015 11:58 AM in response to paoiphone

Hace you tried a soft reset holding down the home & sleep/wake button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears then let go & wait until the iPad boots up normall?.

Is the volume dropping using the YouTube app or another video player or is it occurring while watching videos on the device? If it occurs while using a particular third party app, then try deleting that app & reinstalling, if it occurs watching videos that are in your video library, I would suggest doing a reset.

Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings.

You will NOT lose any data but will have to log back into any wifi networks you have set up.

Sometimes it is very difficult to determine what causes issues with a device that was previously working perfectly. I have been visiting these forums for a while & I am grateful to all of the dedicated people who volunteer their time here.

Although it isn't an EASY solution, sometimes setting up a device as new again is the only way to fix an issue, especially if the cause of that issue cannot be determined.

Apr 23, 2015 8:21 PM in response to BSRG

This seems to be a very big issue. of the 3 iPhones my husband (iPhone 6), mother (iPhone 5c) and I (iPhone 6+) own they are all having the same issue and have been since the day we got them. Nothing seems to work to correct it start playing video and within 10 seconds the volume drops to almost nothing it is the same with all apps. I have similar issues when connecting to my car's audio. Not a happy camper.

Jun 29, 2015 12:25 PM in response to BSRG

Solved it on my iPad Air. I know this is an old post (and an old, apparently unsolved problem). But the same issue was plaguing me. I read about it in many forums with threads about iPods, iPhones of various models, Mac laptops, and Mac towers. No solutions were offered apart from wiping and starting over, or exchanging your device with Apple. I realized that it can't possibly be a hardware problem as Apple seems to think. Just a bug.

How I solved it for myself, at least for now.

• Under Settings/Music, turned on Sound Check.
  • Soft re-set (hold home and on/off button until screen goes black)
  • When it restarts, go back to Settings/Music and turn Sound Check back off.

Volume drops when watching videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.