Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging disk partitions

I recently created a 2nd partition of 50GB to test Yosemite and have now installed in my main partition (Macintosh HD) after deeming it was stable enough. I now have the 50GB partition which I wish to merge back into he primary partition as I have no need for it. In Disk Utility it currently looks like this: User uploaded file

When I go to delete the second partition it won't allow me as it is formatted as Free Space. I try to reformat the same as the primary partition (Mac OS Extended) but it doesn't actually do anything.

User uploaded file

So now I have this secondary partition that I can't seem to do anything with. I've tried using Disk Utility both within the OS and also by booting into the Disk Utility via a boot disk, but both result in the same problems. The only thing that may be contributing is that FileVault is enabled on the primary partition. Could this be stopping them from merging?

Any ideas on how to delete the secondary partition and merge it back into the first?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 4:58 PM

5 replies

Merging disk partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.