You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of a virus I mistakingly got from a site called 'firstrow.eu'?

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 8:46 PM

12 replies

Aug 10, 2014 3:33 AM in response to Ru-tang

That site is a notorious source of adware. You probably have multiple different adware programs installed. See my Adware Removal Guide for help finding and removing it.

Avoid all First Row Sports sites in the future. They are all bad. In addition, avoid any other sites like it that offer free access to commercial TV or movies. These sites are all illegal, except in certain countries that don't care about other countries' copyright laws, as they provide free access to something that is not free... ie, they engage in piracy. These sites are run by criminals, and you don't want to be downloading and opening something given to you by a criminal.

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

Aug 10, 2014 7:05 AM in response to thomas_r.

Is it called the TMS adware removal tool? I clicked on those words and installed something...don't know what...but it found a virus called 'downlight' (I think) and hopefully removed it to my trash that I immediately cleaned up with my 'clean my mac 2' trash removal option...don't really know if I'm in the clear yet (because I don't trust ANYTHING right now!) but I will reply if I notice any change back to the healthy, normal running macbook that I'm used to...(to be determined)

Aug 10, 2014 7:21 AM in response to Ru-tang

Yes, the TSM Adware Removal Tool will get rid of adware, and it sounds like it found and removed Downlite.

Also, be aware that CleanMyMac is crap software that you do not need. The only thing you need to do to clean up the trash is empty it (Finder -> Empty Trash, or press command-shift-delete). CleanMyMac offers no features that you actually need, and worse, its "cleaning" features have been implicated in damaged systems numerous times. Get rid of it, and don't install any similar apps.

Aug 10, 2014 7:59 AM in response to thomas_r.

Ok, so in my panic when this initially occurred I purchased MacKeeper (by Kromtech/Cleverbridge?) WITH my credit card info AFTER I realized what was really going on! Since then I have called my bank and put a freeze/theft protection on my account (dammit!!). Well...needless to say I was up all night vigorously erasing and removing EVERYTHING I thought I didn't need from ALL my files, using MacKeeper and CleanMyMac BOTH to do so. I woke up after "crashing" myself and I still feel like it's ALL been compromised and gone to **** in a hand-basket. Any suggestions on what I should keep and/or get rid of altogether? I also have Norton by Symantec STILL doing who knows what. The MacKeeper internet security said to uninstall Norton antivirus.(..so I did like the clueless ******* I am).

Aug 10, 2014 10:06 AM in response to Ru-tang

MacKeeper was at least right about one thing... you shouldn't have Norton either. Norton is notorious for causing problems on the Mac, and it doesn't even protect you all that well against Mac malware anyway. You should also get rid of MacKeeper, of course, as it's a scam and is currently the subject of two separate class-action lawsuits.

Never install any kind of "cleaning" software, including "memory cleaners," and with regard to anti-virus software, you need to be extremely careful if you install it at all. There's a lot of crap out there. See my Mac Malware Guide for more information about the more important task of learning to protect yourself.

I think it's very unlikely that you actually have any malware. Adware on the Mac has never yet been documented to do any actual spying, unless you count the monitoring of your web browsing habits that I'm sure they all do.

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

Aug 10, 2014 10:26 AM in response to thomas_r.

Ok then one last dumb layman's question...how do I rid myself securely of mackeeper/cleanmymac/norton? Does my Mac have an uninstaller or do I just dump them securely into the trash from Applications in my finder? I will leave you alone after this one and I wanna TRULY thank you Thomas for this information, I will donate what I can...peace.

Aug 10, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Ru-tang

Ru-tang wrote:

Ok then one last dumb layman's question...how do I rid myself securely of mackeeper/cleanmymac/norton? Does my Mac have an uninstaller or do I just dump them securely into the trash from Applications in my finder?

How you remove an app depends on the app. There's no built-in uninstaller in Mac OS X. Apps that were purchased through the App Store can just be dragged to the trash. Apps that required an installer should also require an uninstaller, and that uninstaller should be provided by the developer. Apps that are installed just by dragging to the Applications folder are a bit of a gray area... they should be removable just by dragging them to the trash, but sometimes such apps will install things that run in the background and that need removing. You'd need to see if the developer has removal instructions or an uninstaller.

There are special cases, of course. MacKeeper, for example, requires an installer, but has no uninstaller. Instead, you just drag the app to the trash, and a component of MacKeeper will notice that and ask if you want to remove it.

To remove Norton, you need to run the original installer, which will offer to remove Norton if it's already installed. If you don't have that installer, you can re-download it or check with Symantec about an uninstaller.

As for CleanMyMac, here's what the developer has to say:

http://macpaw.com/support/cleanmymac/knowledgebase/how-to-uninstall-cleanmymac-2

As a general rule, when dealing with apps from outside the App Store, you should always find out how an app is properly removed before installing it, as some apps from irresponsible developers may need - but not have - uninstallers. If an app doesn't have an easy removal process, you should think very carefully before installing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.