Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can use my Airport Express 802.11n with IOS X 10.9.4?

I have two Airport Express unit (802.11n) used to connect my upstairs and downstairs HiFi amps to my music collection (On a Mac mini and on my MacBook). I keep my software up to date and my Airport Express units have now lost connectivity with my updated computers. They do not even appear in UTILITIES/AIRPORT UTILITY - so I cannot reconfigure. I have tried pressing the reset button and have tried "Googling" it but have had no success. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 2:45 AM

6 replies

Aug 10, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Keith Ranner

Temporarily, unplug the AirPort Express devices from the wall so that you can locate the model number on the side of the AirPort Express.

It is hard to see.....grey lettering on a white background.....so you may need reading glasses or a magnifying glass and good lighting. The model number will start with an "A" followed by four numbers.

Example......A1088, or A1264.

Please post back with the model numbers that you see for each AirPort Express.

Oct 2, 2014 4:52 AM in response to Keith Ranner

Both say A1254 (I think)

A1254 is not a model number for an AirPort Express, but if you meant to say A1264, that is an 802.11n model that is compatible with AirPort Utility on an iOS device and also the Mac running Mavericks (10.9.4).

If you have pressed the reset button as you say above (held it in for 5-6 seconds or more), then the AirPort Express devices are reset back to factory default settings.

When you open AirPort Utility on the Mac and click on Other Wi-Fi Devices, you should see the AirPort Express. Click on AirPort Express to start the setup process and follow the prompts.

Oct 2, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

Thank you for your speedy response. I have had another look and they are A1264 as you predicted. However when I go through the process you describe I still can't see them. I held the reset button for about 10 seconds, then opened Airport Utility and clicked on Other Wi-Fi Devices but there are still just the two greyed out messages that there are no new Wifi or base station devices. Any other suggestions please?

Oct 2, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Keith Ranner

Do you have an iPhone or iPad handy? If yes.....

Go to the device home screen

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for a setting of Set Up a New AirPort Base Station and just under that, tap on AirPort Express

If things still do not work, I am out of ideas other than having the Expresses checked out at an Apple Store, if you have one near you. I have not ever had a problem with "disappearing" AirPorts as you describe, and cannot duplicate the error here with a spare AirPort Express.

How can use my Airport Express 802.11n with IOS X 10.9.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.