Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning sticky keys?

A few months ago I spilled coffee on my macbook pro.I took it into to the Apple store and luckily no damage was done and the guy at the genius bar cleaned some of the keys for me.Everything worked fine until recently some of the keys have been a little sticky.Ive read that you're supposed to clean them with a little alcohol and a cotton swab...is this the best way to do this?If not what should I use to get rid of the stickiness?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 6:37 AM

LUCKED OUT! Nice

Is it correct to assume the key is sticking in when you type?

How I solved mine is I popped the key out (small flat head on the LEFT side of the key should do it) and take the mechanism and cleaned it with alcohol.

Putting it back in is simple as well. Just hook the mechanism into the keyboard, and then put the key on top and push it in until it clicks.

There's a couple of good videos detailing this.

This is one I used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88cn_rtLo

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2014 6:37 AM in response to Community User

LUCKED OUT! Nice

Is it correct to assume the key is sticking in when you type?

How I solved mine is I popped the key out (small flat head on the LEFT side of the key should do it) and take the mechanism and cleaned it with alcohol.

Putting it back in is simple as well. Just hook the mechanism into the keyboard, and then put the key on top and push it in until it clicks.

There's a couple of good videos detailing this.

This is one I used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88cn_rtLo

Aug 10, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Heesleemer

i Know this sounds crazy but it doesn't stick in at all it just sounds funny and feels a little different from the keys that aren't sticky.i know it's not really an issue but it is really annoying so I'd like to get them nice and clean. I'm kind if OCD that way haha!

Cleaning sticky keys?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.