Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when adding iCloud email account to Mac Mail

Hi,

I have an older MacBook with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

I have an iCloud email account set up on my iPhone, which I would like to add to my Mac mail. When I try to add this account the following error comes up once I have typed in the email and password:

The icloud.com IMAP server “Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages.

Can someone explain what this means? I am not an expert so in simple terms please!

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 6:48 AM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2014 6:52 AM in response to kirstyb18

Hi kirstyb18,

To add an iCloud account to your Mail application when running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) you will want to follow the directions in this article -

iCloud: Configuring Mail with Mac OS X v10.6 or iOS 4

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5330

Specifically -

1. Open Mail.
  2. Choose File > Add Account. (If this is the first time you've opened Mail, you'll be automatically prompted to add an account).
  3. Enter your full name, email address, and password. Then, option-Click Create to continue.
  4. For Account type, select IMAP. Then, enter a relevant description (for example, "Emily Parker's iCloud account").
  5. Enter your Incoming Mail Server, User Name, and Password using the following settings:
    • Incoming Mail Server: mail.me.com
    • User Name: Your iCloud email address (excluding @me.com)

Password: Your password

6. Click Continue to proceed.
  7. Enter a description, such as "iCloud Outgoing Server."
  8. For the Outgoing Mail Server, enter: smtp.me.com.
  9. Select "Use authentication" and verify you entered your user name (your iCloud email address without @me.com) and password. Then, click Create.
  10. Verify your settings in Account Summary, and then check "Take account online."
  11. Click Create to finish configuring your mail account.
  12. After completing these steps, you can send and receive email via your iCloud account.

If you are still having difficulties at this point, please respond and I’ll see where to go from there.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Aug 13, 2014 10:14 PM in response to Brett L

I am doing exactly what it is saying to do and still receive this error:

"The icloud.com IMAP server “Automatically added for iOS & OS X Mail” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages."

The problem is with the "mail.me.com" server. It does not respond. Why? I've tried "imap.mail.me.com" as well because another forum suggested that and still no dice.

Also, in step three it says "Enter your full name, email address, and password. Then, option-Click Create to continue."

- What email address? My icloud one or the one I use for my apple id?

- I don't have a "create" tab to click. It just gives me the option of "continue"

These instructions are also a bit strange:

User Name: Your iCloud email address (excluding @me.com)

Wouldn't my icloud email end in "@icloud.com" not "@me.com" Which is it? This isn't clear, and for the record, I tried both.

Please help, and don't just copy what you found on the mac site. I can look at that too. Please read what I wrote and see if you can drum up some real answers.

Thanks so much.

Impro

Error when adding iCloud email account to Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.