Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing Problem: "You do not have permission to access the requested resource"

This problem has been posted numerous times here with not one single answer that I can find. Not only does it take about fifteen minutes for Home Sharing to load on my iPad, once it does load I get the "You do not have permission to access the requested resource" when I try to play any video. I've tried resetting everything. Even home videos won't play via Home Sharing. Is there a known bug that someone can tell me about? Or is Home Sharing on iPad just broken.

Possibly related: videos that play on my iPhone on Facebook won't play on my iPad. The iPad is newer and more powerful, you think it would be the other way around. I have never used a jail break on anything. I have never installed any kind of security software.

iPhone 4, iPad 3, mid-2010 27" iMac, Airport Extreme all on the same network with the same iCloud ID.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 12 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 10:04 AM

13 replies

Nov 7, 2014 12:27 AM in response to Jyroflux

I have been having the same issues on all my iPads / iPhones and can't come up with much info either.

I just seemed to fix it by quitting the app on the device, changing my wifi network to the 5Ghz band and retrying. Loads quick and plays every time (for the last 5 minutes at least)

I did read that there is a bug, in that if you close down the app after you have watched the video(s) you won't get the "permission" error. Seems to be working.

Not super helpful but I feel your pain.

Nov 19, 2015 5:33 PM in response to Selardor

Unfortunately, that is not the case for me. The battery is 100% charged, and after 20 minutes the load the library, I get the permission error. Like I said before, sharing works GREAT with my gen 2 ATV and an OLD window laptop. It takes about 10 seconds on each of those devices to load my library, and no permission errors. This is ABSURD. I guess this is one reason that I never bought into the apple "hype." Both ios devices I have were gifts.

Mike

Dec 12, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Jyroflux

I had this error. Also I could play stuff on our iPad air, but not my iPhone but previously used home sharing often. What worked for me was turning off Home Sharing in iTunes. Quitting the app in my phone. Then I turned on Home Sharing again and it miraculously worked.

I read previously about resetting the network settings of the phone which would get rid of all the saved passwords for all the wifi networks the phone remembers -- thankful I did not try that on the way to fixing this.

Home Sharing Problem: "You do not have permission to access the requested resource"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.