Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image retention lg/Samsung on MBP 15" Retina

I bought a 2012 Retina MBP 15" for £2100, and after a lot of image retention problems and replacements I finally had my money back and bought a samsung 17" (which has no image retention and white screen despite being IPS showing claims it is normal by Apple being rubbish).

Now its time to replace again and I considering a MBP (as I want the flexibility of OSX and Windows on one system), but I am nervous if the new 2013 MBP has solved this issue or am I best avoiding Apple again and save the grief ?

Are systems delivered in 2014 still a crap shoot on IR and colour quality ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 12:10 PM

5 replies

Aug 10, 2014 12:43 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks...yes that been around since the 2012 problems, and was Apple's way of trying to say it was normal. As we now know, the Samsung panels (also IPS) did not have this issue and so that guidance is a waste of time.

I was hoping Apple had come clean about the issue and addressed it directly by now, especially after the Class action lawsuit about the IR problem that a group of customers filed in California.

I know Apple will replace the MBP if it has the problem, but if I pay over £2000 I want to be pretty certain I don't have to do that (in 2012 some of us got though 9 replacements until eventually getting lucky with a Samsung panel replacement....nothing could describe that as good customer service !)

I accept any product has the risk of a fault, but that should be the exception, not Apple sending out known defective products and seeing if the customer notices and sends it back.

Aug 10, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Kappy

Fair enough.

But it didn't answer the question....or perhaps it did, if the guidance is still there updated in 2014 then I assume even new MBPs still have a crap shoot on good or bad IPS panels.

Looks like I am avoiding Apple for another generation, shame I thought 2 years would be enough time to solve the problem...hopefully eventually they will face the problem and fix it, not just keep their head in the sand.

Back to Samsung...I like their kit but I miss OSX :-(

Image retention lg/Samsung on MBP 15" Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.