Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install OS X bundled software on external drive

I am building a bootable external hard drive. I installed the operating system (Snow Leopard) successfully using the computer specific installation disc that came with the system. However, when I have attempted to installed the bundled software (i.e. Garageband, iMovie, etc.) I get an installation failed message just describing an unknown reason.

Does the hard drive have to be the main drive for this bundled software package? That would not make sense because you can get the OS on an external drive and one objective for doing it is to have a fully working clean installation available to utilize.

"The Installation Failed

An unknown installation error occurred.

The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance,"

Mac mini (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4ghz 8GB RAM SSD Hard drive

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 1:50 PM

2 replies

Aug 17, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Eric Root

The operating system boots from the drive without any problem.

The formatting is GUID & Extended Journaled.

I tried making a disk image and received the same error.

I ended up searching my main system drive for all related files for each program installed and manually duplicating the folder structure then copy/pasting the files in the external drive. I was successful in getting everything to run off the new drive.

It is frustrating that an answer to this problem does not pop up online after a search. It has to be a common problem when people attempt to create a bootable external drive loaded with software.

FWIW, I did not want to do any sort of cloning. I wanted a fresh installation. Fortunately the software from the bundle that is currently installed on my original main drive is healthy as far as I know. If I needed a fresh installation of it I would not have been able to use this approach.

Can't install OS X bundled software on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.