Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync new music?

I copied my itunes library to my new computer. I can add music to the library but it won't sync to my ipod (4th gen)?

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 3:28 PM

4 replies

Aug 12, 2014 7:29 AM in response to Jhartert

Hi Jhartert,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you have music on your new computer that you are trying to sync to your iPod nano. Attached below is an article that explains how to sync media to your iPod. If these steps are not working or you are getting a specific alert, please let me know when the failure to sync happens or when you are getting the alert and what the alert message is.

iTunes: Syncing media content to iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1351

Have a great day,

Joe

Aug 12, 2014 4:43 PM in response to joe_73

Joe, thanks for your reply. When I tried to sync the 'entire library' as your reply instructed, I got this alert message "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies and tv shows from this IPOD and sync with this itunes library." (also no message as to how many songs next to sync unless I didn't go far enough) I didn't proceed as I didn't want to delete music from my IPOD. This may have resulted from going to a new computer and simply copying over the music/itunes libraries. My music library is fine - as it should be. I download 1 new song from the Store which is in my music library but when I connect the ipod to the computer and it auto sync's, the new song doesn't get moved over. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aug 13, 2014 6:16 AM in response to Jhartert

Hey Jhartert,

Thanks for the extra information. There may be a couple of different solutions for you here depending on what is in the iTunes library on your computer. If all of the music from your iPod nano, and all other music you would like to sync for that matter, is already in your iTunes library, it is ok to go ahead and erase and sync. What is happening is your iPod can only sync content from one computer at a time. So the music would be erased from the iPod and replaced with what is in your library, nothing changes essentially as far as content is concerned.

iTunes: Syncing media content to iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1351

If the music from your iPod is not however in your iTunes library, you will need to put your iPod in what is called disk mode and transfer that music to iTunes before erasing and syncing. The instructions for Disk Mode can be found in the following article.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Joe

Aug 13, 2014 6:38 PM in response to joe_73

Ok Joe, thanks for your continued help. I have verified that my itunes music library is not complete and even has duplicate entries due to my playing around with the itunes files. So I need to transfer the songs from my ipod (500+) back to my itunes music library before I try a complete sync. I was able to put the ipod into disk mode. I kept it connected for 3-4 hrs and it looked like it was doing something but not what I was hoping for. How do I transfer the ipod songs back to the computer itunes music library? Are there specific setting or instructions from itunes?

Thanks again

How to sync new music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.