Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded wrong (G5) v. of TFF, Ten4Fx, eMac won't come back on...

My eMac quit a month or so ago and I sent it to some of the students at UCAB for first aid. They pronounced it dead. Kids! My son took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. (Hadn't been cleaned since I bought it in 2003, a rebuild. It, of course, was filthy.) It started up and went like magic. Then.....I downloaded the wrong FFF and after some lengthy attempts and lots of research realized I was working as though it was on my G5 not my eMac. Pshaw! by then it had locked up and wouldn't recognize my mouse nor would it force quit so (dumb me) I shut it down. Now it won't start. New battery, worked like a charm, like new, faster than it had been for years. 😢

Is there any hope? I love that little jewel!

PowerMac 4,4; PPC G4 (3.3); 1GHz; L2 Cache 256KB; RAM 768MB; Bus 133 MHz;

SN G8xxxxxUNLV; OSX 10.4.11

<Edited by Host>

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 6:17 PM

16 replies

Aug 11, 2014 6:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD nice to "see" you. 🙂

I disconnected everything last night and let it sit overnight. Hit the power button this afternoon, the power-on light went on and it's sitting there now with a gray screen, nothing else. Where do I go from here? I downloaded the Ten4Fx (not FFF) designed for a G5 (I had my G5 there for a while) and was trying to make the eMac work with it. Guess I just overloaded it, whatever, it locked up and as I said, I shut it down for a restart and it seemed to die. The power's on now, I await your instructions. TIA

....goldie

Aug 12, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Goldenbill

I downloaded the Ten4Fx (not FFF) designed for a G5...

I really don't think that is the cause of the problem, not impossible I suppose, but not likely at all.

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Aug 15, 2014 11:48 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BG! Still working on this, intermittently. Got it going a couple of times but attempting various things, got it into grey mode again. Have brought up PRAM about an hour ago and it's still working on it (I hope). You've said in other threads regarding this problem that PRAM may take a long time. Just about how long should I let it go before I try something new? It's been about two hours now.

It does boot into Firewire Mode. but I haven't been able to bring it up with any of the other options so far.

I have a Backup of the file on an external HD which I could use to reinstall the HD OS if necessary. Rather try other routes first though.

....goldie

Aug 17, 2014 7:39 AM in response to BDAqua

I BD! As usual, you hit the nail on the head (almost) 😀

As you advised, I first tried to boot up from the original Disk, (start up holding down the "C"). Mr e refused to recognize the disk though I tried several times to activate it. First of all it wouldn't accept the disk in the drawer, then it wouldn't let it go. I spent several hours (days) trying to get it to work without any luck. When it refused to respond to the commands, Comd+C; Comd+S; Comd+shift, etc. I figured it was completely kaput. I bought this eMac in August 2001, is it possible the disk deteriorates over the years? It did respond to Firewire but I wasn't ready to go that route yet. In all this I had to hard quit it several times which made me very nervous.

Then I thought perhaps my Disk Warrior would do the trick. Same routine, wouldn't accept the disk, then wouldn't let it go. Then DW wouldn't complete the procedure prescribed.

Finally--- I tried Disk Utility in the Finder. It verified that the HD was OK but Disk Warrior had one bad partition out of three. I tried several times to fix the bad section then read in the DW manual that a "Locked Disk cannot be repaired". Fifty-three pages of instruction, bound to miss something.😟

Disk Utility in the Finder did the trick, the e's back in action but I guess I'll have to buy a new Disk Warrior. It did a great job, when it was new, of cleaning up the eMac and the Mac G5 17" PPC.

Thanks again for your patience and advice. ....goldie

Nov 3, 2014 5:19 AM in response to Goldenbill

I can't believe I lost track of this post and just found it in my "Activity" list. Only part of the thread is here and I'm not sure it will go to the section (thread) I think it will but here goes.

Thanks for the answer BD, I've pretty much given up on my eMac and have bought a "new" reconditioned G5 as the anchor for my printer as I don't have space for it next to my iMac. I've gotten the printer working with the G5 but can't get it going with my iMac Intel and am here searching for my old posts that tell me what to do. "Taint easy with this new layout, never sure where I am and there is never enough information to make a reasonable search of the current posts. Maybe they'll reconsider the lack of viewers, answers, and last poster info in the threads.

Nov 3, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Goldenbill

Hi BD!

This is ridiculous! i went to reply to your post and found something referring to the thread and whether to "Recover or Delete". By the time I got my reply sent, still unsure where it was going, the thread was on the THIRD page. Three pages of posts in under ten minutes. Apparently, they have opened the group up to the whole world and you have to read through dozens of posts before you can even find the one you were posting to, then they only put a couple posts in your "Activities" file which I assumed was the new "My Stuff" file. Just going to have to find a new source of information, the world has just gotten too big for this ole gal. I do see they have the number of views, and replies listed but not the guru that has replied, that was always a clue to me whether it was a worthwhile thread to look into.

In any event, my eMac has eaten my Start-up Disk and I can't get it out as the power button no longer works. My son has been sick and not able to work on it and I wonder if he may have neglected to reconnect the power button to the supply cord. Working on the nerve to open it and check. I feel like I've lost a member of the family. 😢

I'll check with you at XYmer"s if that's ok with you.

.....goldie

Downloaded wrong (G5) v. of TFF, Ten4Fx, eMac won't come back on...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.