Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Podcast app not displaying enhanced podcast chapters

I'm troubleshooting why my m4a podcasts no longer display chapters in the native iOS Podcasts app, and other iOS podcatcher apps like Downcast. Yet chapter markers are still functional in the desktop version of iTunes, VLC, etc.

I use Garageband 11' to create the enhanced podcast. I then export the m4a enhanced podcast to an Amazon S3 server, and paste the link into Wordpress using the Powerpress Podpress plugin. For the past year or so I've been using Wordpress and Podpress without issue. But starting several months ago, no more chapter marks in podcatcher apps. The older podcasts still display they're chapter markers in the apps and desktop programs, but the new podcasts only display chapters on the desktop. For example, a podcast I made several months ago, episode 269, still shows chapter markers when viewed in native iOS Podcasts app, Downcast, etc. But all episode after 269 will only show chapters in desktop apps like iTunes, VLC, etc.

I've tried reinstalling GB. I've tried using a different version of GB to create the podcasts. I've tried using a different computer to create the podcasts. I've tried changing the filename of the podcasts on the server. I've tried updating all applicable desktop and iOS apps. So it seems that the issue is not my computer, Garageband, or how I'm creating the podcast itself. I've gone through and rechecked all of my Powerpress setting within Wordpress.

I've been regularly Google searching to see if anyone else is having this issue, and have found nothing to lead me in the right direction.

Website podcasts: http://www.farpastpost.com/podcasts/music-podcasts/

iTunes Store podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/farpastpost-featured-music/id331270558?mt=2

Any suggestions?

mac pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 6:24 PM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2014 1:29 PM in response to farpastpost

I found the problem, I think. The problem has been going on since mid-May. It appears that a bug is created when I edit the GB exported podcast files ID3 tags in the current version of iTunes. Until iTunes gets an update that addresses this issue I’m using another media player to edit ID3 tags. My most recent podcast, episode 285, seems to work fine in the native iOS app ‘Podcasts’, as well as third-party iOS podcatcher apps like Downcast. Anybody else finding this to be the case?

Sep 18, 2014 2:33 PM in response to farpastpost

Hi farpastpost. I was really interested to read your post as we have been having the same problem with our podcasts. Could I ask you what information did you edit in the ID3 tags and which media player did you use to do so? We use Garageband to create the podcast and then edit any information within Jellycast, which is where we upload them to send them to iTunes and stitcher. We noticed the problem started in June and we just cannot find a solution and your post is the nearest we have come to anywhere near a solution so any extra advice you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iOS Podcast app not displaying enhanced podcast chapters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.