Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plug to Cinema Display turning off computer?

So I have a power mac and a Mac monitor that has been in storage for a while. I just got it out but I have lost the plug (the part that goes to the wall outlet for electricity) to the white little box "Cinema Display 65w power adapter." I remember it was a white plug with a little cover on it that covers entire outlet part. But it looks much like a generic computer plug hole. So I tried a computer plug that I had laying around and the computer turns on. Then about 2 minutes later the computer goes quiet and the monitor goes black. If I click the mouse the computer gets loud again and the monitor comes back on. But then 15-30 seconds later it keeps doing same thing. The mouse always turns it back on. When I have about 2 min at the beginning, I checked the sleep function and it's set at 1 hour. Do you think it's the plug? Do you think I need the plug that goes with it? Or do you think it may be that the computer has gone bad since it's been in storage for a while? Also, if you think it's the plug... any ideas on where to just buy the outlet plug because every where I see online sells both outlet and cinema display for a small fortune.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 8:53 PM

7 replies

Aug 11, 2014 10:32 AM in response to BDAqua

try replacing the Bios battery and doing a reset... there's a little grey button that resets the power module or something....its all by itself (on a G4, anyway)

just above the fan that's mounted on the door on the left hand side. press it ONCE after replacing the Bios battery. If it still won't behave, try disconnecting the hard drive too. You may have to press the Button again...These things (G series Macs) get weird when they get old. BDaqua is right about the battery... good luck, and don't give up!!

Aug 11, 2014 11:45 AM in response to BDAqua

I think it must be the battery. I failed to mention too before when it was shutting off it said the year was 1964 and I would fix it and then when it shut down and turn back on, it was 1964 again. 🙂 so now that I read about the battery I'm thinking you are right. Didn't even know there was such a battery in there. I mostly used windows but I really need an extra computer. I'm homeschooling my kids this year and I wanted them to have a computer (besides my laptop and their iPads) to use for typing and such.

But I tried the pram restart and it won't chime a second time. I held it down for a few minutes until my fingers went sore. all the fans start to run like it sounds like a jet taking off. After that I held down the On button and nothing. It turns on but no screen. I kept trying that and one time I got a gray screen. Now when I turn it on the white power light won't turn on but sounds like it's running. Do you think I messed it up? Should I try the battery. I bought a new cord by the way for the power adapter just in case. But that hasn't came in mail yet.

The battery is cheap enough I could try it and see! What do y'all think? Did I screw it up and now it's too far gone?

Aug 12, 2014 7:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, I held down the right keys. 🙂 I even watched a video first on YouTube and read about it on apples page before I did it.

But I ordered a battery on amazon yesterday so the battery should be here Thursday. I will be back to let you all know how it went.

I Did see about the battery polarity. I took the battery out already and I remember where the positive end goes.

Plug to Cinema Display turning off computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.