Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer icon disappeared from Dock after updating software for Mavericks printing.

After I installed Mavericks I lost the ability to send or save any scans. Advice from Apple was to update software to bring my old HP Officejet printer up to date with Mavericks. Now the printer icon has disappeared from my dock and has been replaced by a white question mark. Supposedly I

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 2:17 PM

8 replies

Aug 11, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Kappy

It's an all-in-one printer, scanner and fax. I've been to the HP website, have added the devices in the Preferences, have updated the driver software. My next try will be to uninstall the driver software and re-install it via the HP instructions, although I already did that once. My Mac has identified my all-in-one as a product that should be recognized in the Mavericks OS.

Aug 11, 2014 4:37 PM in response to tsankawe

Adding a printer to your printer list in Mac OS X

I would open Printing & Scanning preferences. Select the printer listed and click on the Delete [-] button below the list. CTRL- or RIGHT-click in the empty list box and select Reset Print System from the context menu. Click on the Add [+] button. A window should open showing your connected printer (the printer should be turned on before starting this whole process.) Select the printer in that list and click on the ADD button. This should automatically locate the driver and install it.

If the software you have also contains the scanning software, then it, too, is installed. To verify you can click on the Scan option in the preferences window.

Aug 11, 2014 7:57 PM in response to Kappy

As an all-in-one device, I also would have thought the scanner would load up as the printer did. After some trial and error the printer seems to be OK so far. But all of my attempts at scanning are met with messages saying the scanner is not recognized or the scanner window is simply blank. I did try the Reset Print System that you described above but still no scanner. I've also tried scanning from Preview and with Image Capture. None of these can find a scanner.

Printer icon disappeared from Dock after updating software for Mavericks printing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.