Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone driver corrupt

I have an iPhone 4S. I've had no problems with it until the past week, at which point it stopped charging when plugged into my laptop via USB. I have Windows 8.1, and my phone has software 7.1.1 (11D201) installed. I tried updating to 7.1.2, but did not have enough space to do it without plugging into my computer. When I plugged in, I discovered that itunes wouldn't see my phone at all. I hear a Windows ding when I plug my phone in, but the phone doesn't react at all, neither vibrating or charging. If I check the device manager, I see "iPhone" under Other Devices, with a yellow exclamation point. Trying to update the driver software leads to the message:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

MTP USB Device

The configuration registry database is corrupt.

Updating through the device manager has shown the same message throughout all of my troubleshooting. I've tried a variety of fixes with no luck. I believe I've narrowed down the issue to Apple Mobile Device Support. I had a very hard time uninstalling it, and only succeeded by using an uninstalling tool from support.microsoft.com/fixit. Each attempt with its own uninstaller led to the bar filling, then emptying backward while the uninstall rolled back. The same thing happened when I tried reinstalling it with the individual AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi from iTunes64Setup.exe, in which case it said that the installer encountered errors before it could be configured. I got the same error the first time I tried installing itunes as a whole, although installations since then have gone through without any errors. At this point I've completely uninstalled all apple programs on my computer besides icloud, which I'm reluctant to remove unless necessary. Per instructions in another support article, I also deleted the following folders, if they existed:

• C:\Program Files\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\CoreFP
  • C:\Program Files\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files\iPod\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\CoreFP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iPod\

Before I was able to uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support with the Microsoft Fix It tool, I discovered that the service was failing to run. When I tried manually starting it, I got an error that the file could not be found and that the service would be deleted. Since rebooting after that, I haven't seen it in the services list.

The only other relevant information I can remember is that I updated itunes to the latest version within the past week. When I tried updating, itunes locked up and I ended up having to force-quit it from the task manager. When I started it again, it prompted to upgrade again, and went through successfully that time.

If anybody could help me solve this issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 4:40 PM

3 replies

Aug 13, 2014 6:39 AM in response to tophercer

Hi tophercer,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It definitely sounds like you have done some fantastic troubleshooting already. What I would suggest at this point would be completely removing the iTunes program from your computer along with its related components and installing fresh. If you do encounter issues uninstalling any of the components you can use the same tool you used initially, Microsoft Fix it.

The first article attached here shows the list and order of components to remove when uninstalling iTunes on Windows 8.

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Remove iTunes and related components from the Control Panel

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order and then restart your computer:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Important: Uninstalling these components in a different order, or only uninstalling some of these components may have unintended affects.

I know you already understand the Microsoft Fix it solution because you have already used it; if you would like reference material on it you can use the attached article.

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" alert appears when you remove Apple software in Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3704

Have a great day,

Joe

Aug 13, 2014 8:08 AM in response to tophercer

Hey tophercer,

If none of these programs are installed currently on your computer, I would recommend just reinstalling fresh from the Apple website and testing it out. It shouldn't be necessary for you to uninstall again after installing.

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Reinstall iTunes and related componentsAfter verifying that iTunes is completely uninstalled, restart your computer and download and install the latest version of iTunes.

If the issue you're troubleshooting isn't resolved after following these steps, it isn't necessary to remove and reinstall iTunes multiple times. Instead, you may find helpful information on the iTunes Support page, such as troubleshooting steps related to specific alert messages.

• Make sure that iTunes and the iPod Updater utility aren't open.
  • Press and hold Control-Alt-Delete.
  • Select Start Task Manager.
  • Click the Processes tab.
  • Locate the iPodService.exe in the list.
  • Click iPodService.exe and choose End Process.
  • Quit the Task Manager.

• Hope this helps,

Joe

iphone driver corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.