Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No wifi hardware installed?

My Late 2013 MacPro booted up this morning with an 'X' through the WiFi symbol. Clicking on it gives only a message "No Wifi hardware installed".

Restarting doesn't fix it.

System Information returns:

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 4.3.3 (433.48)

CoreWLANKit: 3.3.2 (332.36)

Menu Extra: 9.3.2 (932.35)

System Information: 9.0 (900.8)

IO80211 Family: 6.4 (640.36)

Diagnostics: 3.0 (300.40)

AirPort Utility: 6.3.2 (632.3)

3.5Ghz 6-Core running 10.9.4

Softwa

Software Versions

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 6-Core

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 7:13 PM

This usually does the trick:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

9 replies

Jul 12, 2015 9:10 PM in response to Nigel Paterson1

I have a brand new Mac Pro only 5 days old and right out of the box I have had issues with the Wifi connectivity. This seems to be a known issue with Mac as I have read about this problem going back to 2011 models. My house is solar powered, so every night before I go to bed, I shut my computer and monitor down. When I get up in the morning I usually start them both up before making coffee. When I power up the new Mac Pro, I have no internet and the message at the top of the screen when I click on th Wifi icon reads: "Wi-fi: No hardware installed." When I reboot the computer wifi is then recognized and I can cruz the internet without aproblem all day. So the problem only seems to happen when I do a cold start up from an off position and is suddenly fixed when I do a restart. It's only a few day's old so I have called the Apple help line and they tried several different trouble shooting technique's - none of which worked. They set an appointment for me with an in Apple store tech and after a few test they recommended that the wifi card be replaced as nothing wrong could be found in the software. I'm REALLY hoping this Apple looks into and fixes the problem, as this is frustrating problem to have with a brand new computer, especially a known problem for years.

Jul 12, 2015 9:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have a brand new Mac Pro only 5 days old and right out of the box I have had issues with the Wifi connectivity. This seems to be a known issue with Mac as I have read about this problem going back to 2011 models. My house is solar powered, so every night before I go to bed, I shut my computer and monitor down. When I get up in the morning I usually start them both up before making coffee. When I power up the new Mac Pro, I have no internet and the message at the top of the screen when I click on th Wifi icon reads: "Wi-fi: No hardware installed." When I reboot the computer wifi is then recognized and I can cruz the internet without aproblem all day. Apple help set an appointment for me with an in Apple store tech and after a few test they recommended that the wifi card be replaced as nothing wrong could be found in the software and resetting the SMC was ony a temp fix.

Jul 19, 2015 8:18 PM in response to Daivarie

I also have a Mac Pro, late 2013 model, and only about 2 months old. I've had these WIFI issues since day one of ownership. I've had the wifi hardware replaced but the computer still seems to continue with these issues. I now believe the source to either be logic board or software (OS X Yosemite) related. I share your frustration with this issue and don't believe that we (you and I....and the rest of the poor souls dealing with this) should be the "test subjects" while Apple tries to figure out what's going on. I spent waaayyyyyy toooooo much money on this machine to be dealing with issues like this. Anywho, if you've found a fix please post it here on this forum. I'll do the same on my end.

Jul 19, 2015 9:14 PM in response to Nigel Paterson1

I've had the exact same issues in the past. Here's a list of troubleshooting things I've done.

1.) New WIFI hardware installed (by a certified Apple technician): WIFI worked right away until the computer went into sleep mode....then, when the computer woke up (me waking it up manually) we threw a surprise party......and guess who was invited? Yup....all the wifi issues (No Hardware Installed) I've been dealing with and their little wifi friends. Needless to say, the new hardware did NOT solve the problem.

2.) PRAM Reset: This worked right away, until again, I put the computer into sleep mode. Guess what? We had a party again, and the same little WIFI issues came back.

3.) Reset SMC: Currently, this is the only solution that has proved to work past manually putting the computer into sleep mode. I've done that twice now, for about 30 seconds each time and wifi seems to be working normally. I'm going to try it again here in a little bit, for an extended period of time. I will report back with any new updates.

Jul 26, 2015 12:12 AM in response to Nigel Paterson1

I have the exact same problem as Daivarie describes. A brand new Mac Pro (Late 2013 model) that's only a few weeks old. Almost every morning when I start the mac, it gives me no wifi hardware installed. Then I reboot it, then the wifi works fine all day. There is no connectivity issue after that. I noticed that the problem occurs only when the computer is shut down for a few hours or longer and almost every time I start (which is usually in the morning), it gives me the problem.

Took it in to the genius bar and they did the test and couldn’t reproduce the problem and they didn’t see any connectivity issue, so they didn’t replace the wifi card. So of course the problem didn’t get fixed. I called them up and the technician said it could be an OS issue. So I used a different hard drive to start OS X 10.9 Mavericks but it had the same issue. So I don’t think it’s the OS issue.

I reset SMC and PRAM, but no luck. I don’t have an issue with wifi after wake up from sleep like ONSki describes. But if he couldn’t get it fixed with new wifi hardware installed, I’m assuming the logic board is causing the issue.

What else can I do to fix this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 27, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Star184

@Star184

Had my logic board replaced last week Wednesday, and the "No Hardware Installed" problem continues. After the Logic Board installation, I was able to reproduce the issue without putting the computer through a sleep/wake cycle. In fact, wifi dropped out on me mid-browsing. I am looking into having my computer replaced all together. I even spoke with an Apple Engineer (software) and he ruled out that fact that this wifi error was not software based. I walked the engineer through my typical steps, before and after wifi failure, and he seemed certain that the issue could be traced back to the "power supply". Basically when the computer goes to sleep it "hibernates" some of it's internal resources....and then when the computer wakes it doesn't have enough power to initiate whatever resources it hibernated in the first place. I don't know about any of this. Sounds like it could be software or hardware to me. All I know is that this type of issue should NOT be happening with a $5K/ workstation computer. I will keep you all posted.

Jul 28, 2015 3:55 PM in response to ONski

Thanks for the update. If replacing the logic board (plus all the other things you tried) doesn't fix then, you probably need to get the whole computer replaced. You mac is a lot worse than mine because at least I can browse once it recognized the wifi card. It's just pain that every morning I have to reboot it to get it recognized. I'm in the middle of project and I can't bring this to genius bar to get it fixed but I'll try to figure out what other choices are out there for the time being. I agree that this is such a ridiculous issue for this expensive computer. Please keep us posted what you ended up doing. Thanks

No wifi hardware installed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.