Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with old iPhone as iPod

I've been using an old iPhone as an iPod for the last 2-3 months. I've been using iMessages on it and it has been working fine up until today. All of a sudden not getting any iMessages on it. I tried turning off iMessages and then back on...didn't work. I did a hard reboot...didn't work. What can I do to get it working again?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 5:07 PM

11 replies

Aug 14, 2014 10:54 AM in response to cpsaucedo

Hey cpsaucedo,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues with iMessage on an iPhone that is being used without a wireless plan. The following resource provides troubleshooting steps that my help to resolve your issue. Follow the steps as you would for an iPod touch:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

Please note that if you end up needing to back up and restore your device, you’ll want to consider the information outlined in this resource:

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

Thanks,

Matt M.

Oct 22, 2014 7:55 PM in response to micahd

From the same support document linked above: iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation

When you enable FaceTime or iMessage with an iPad or iPod touch, you need to enter a valid Apple ID and password. Other users will be able to contact you on FaceTime and iMessage using this email address.

If that does not work, then review additional steps in the support document listed above.

Oct 23, 2014 9:01 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Just to be clear, you definitely can phone numbers with non-iPhone iOS devices and Macs that do not have cell service. I routinely get iMessages sent to my phone number that show up on all of my non-iPhone iOS devices and my Macs. The question really relates only to an iPhone that no longer has cell service and whether iPhone iOS is different in requiring the successful send of an SMS message for activation of iMessaging. This is clearly not the case for non-iPhone iOS devices or Macs.

Oct 23, 2014 9:07 PM in response to william29

william29 wrote:

Just to be clear, you definitely can phone numbers with non-iPhone iOS devices and Macs that do not have cell service. I routinely get iMessages sent to my phone number that show up on all of my non-iPhone iOS devices and my Macs.

I understand this is possible. That was not the question the OP had asked. He was trying to use an iPhone without wireless service. While the support document that I provided gives instructions on how to activate iMessage for that device, he is trying to use the phone number from his active device on that non-active device.

The question really relates only to an iPhone that no longer has cell service and whether iPhone iOS is different in requiring the successful send of an SMS message for activation of iMessaging. This is clearly not the case for non-iPhone iOS devices or Macs.

Again, he can activate iMessage on that device with the Apple ID, but I do not believe he can associate the Phone number from his active device on that device. Although, as I think of it, there is a support document, that I cannot locate right now, that allows you to add a phone number to use with a Mac computer, so it might be able to be done with the iPhone without cellular service. I guess they could search the support site for that document.

Oct 23, 2014 9:13 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Sounds like we're saying the same thing. There is no problem adding the phone number to Macs or non-iPhone iOS devices. We're both just seeking a way, if possible, to do so to an iPhone without cell service. The answer hinges on whether there is something sufficiently different about iOS running on iPhones to prevent this and whether or not there is a work around.

Problems with old iPhone as iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.