Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro and two Matrox TripleHead2Go

Encountered a problem that new Mac Pro does not see the two Matrox TripleHead2Go.

When I connect one card TripleHead2Go - computer determines its. Resolution on Matrox 3820x1080 50Hz

After connecting to the second card - it hangs the computer and a black screen appears on the monitor.

I connect two TripleHead2Go on different buses (Bus 1 and 2).

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 11:27 PM

6 replies

Aug 12, 2014 11:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Because direct connection significantly reduces performance.

It can be seen that the card can not cope with 6 video streams.

And I wanted to experiment with reliable video cards.

Mac Pro does not support 2 TripleHead?

And Black screen and system hang occurred when I connected to my MBP Retina 2 triple head card.

Maybe there are some restrictions on the system Mac os X?

Aug 13, 2014 8:24 AM in response to 13kot

I disagree that your problem has anything to do with the built-in graphics cards falling short. In my opinion, you are trying to move more data to the six screens than can be transferred from the number of sources you have, in the time you want.

Try this experiment:

Set each of the displays to mirrored (the same data on each screen). Now play ONE movie onto all six screens. If you get drop-outs, the display card is defective (or, as you assert, inadequate.)

I believe your other experiment (with six different data streams to six different displays) is I/O bound. If you get drop-outs you need more drives in more different enclosures to provide enough concurrent data for the displays.

Another experiment to try is to run two displays. Then try three. Then four, and so on. If you study where it fails and analyze how much data is needed to support each stream, I believe you will find that the amount of data required is more than can be produced by one or two ordinary drive or SSDs.

A single ordinary rotating drive can produce a single burst at about 125 MBytes/sec, not sustainable. To supply moving pictures to six displays takes far more data than that.

A third experiment is to reduce the resolution on each display to the lowest it can achieve, and play those smaller windows. Perhaps it can play six half-sized movies.

Feb 9, 2015 12:04 PM in response to 13kot

13kot, did you ever resolve this? i'm guessing the issue is needing to use active tunderbolt to DVI/DP adapters. see here: Mac Pro (Late 2013): Using multiple displays - Apple Support

i'm asking because i want to do the same thing. i have one th2go (DP version) running but want to add another. Matrox says they don't support two boxes on a Mac but like @cowboya i've been running two Digital Editions to push six VGA (xga res).

feedback appreciated!

thanks.

Oct 19, 2015 12:09 PM in response to domedavid

Just saw this thread :-D bit late..but: Yes, It is possible! We made a proof of functionality with four (4) Matrox Trippleheads2Go and 12 (twelve) projektors running at 768x1024 resolution with MacPro 2013 and D700 included. We figured that out for 3d-Videomapping-Purposes and solved the problem. There is a tricky part while connecting the TH2GO`s AND YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL Powerdesk ;-) thats the same trickey part as if you`re on Windows-Machines. Wish you a nice testing, it takes us a complete Night to figure that out but it works at last with no dropouts, i think it is possible to connect one TH2GO per MDP (Thunderbolt-Port)...that makes a summary of 18 Projectors, but you`ll lose a Control (Main-) Monitor, but we`ve never tested that situation. A workaround could be to use VNC or something similar ;-) Happy testing! XD

Mac Pro and two Matrox TripleHead2Go

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.