Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to type the copyright symbol on Mac pro keyboard

I'm in the process of copyrighting most of my photos. I have a basic template, but would rather use the copyright symbol, i.e. the letter 'C' in a circle.

Macworld advises pressing Opt + G, but this just types up a G. I use one of the older keyboards like this:

User uploaded file

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9), HP3310 A-I-O

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 3:16 AM

30 replies

Jan 12, 2017 5:25 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Sorry, forgot to mention. 🙂 I'm using a Finnish keyboard.

Also, what I meant to point out was that no matter what language keyboard layout you use, it's easy to find the right key by simply trying (option/alt + any key). For me, being a rookie with Mac, that was a new discovery and I also found some other new commands for different symbols, which was nice. 😀

Pedro

Aug 12, 2014 4:32 AM in response to sapper

By default, Mavericks has a text replacement for the copyright symbol in the form of the three character sequence: (c). You can see this in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. In Pages, you will need:

Edit > Substitutions > Text Replacement enabled for this to work.

I realize that your photo is of an older keyboard that pre-dated the flat, aluminum one on which I now type. The sequence for copyright is first the option key, followed by g. Just checking.

You can also direct-inject the copyright symbol from the Special Characters palette (control+command+space). This will be in the Letterlike Symbols, or Letterlike Symbols - All categories in the Special Characters gear selector > Customize List… > Symbols. Position your cursor where you want it in the document, and then double-click (or drag/drop) the copyright sign in Special Characters. It will appear in your document.

Aug 12, 2014 7:54 AM in response to sapper

With the USA/Australian keyboard just type it:

option g = ©

option 2 = ™

option r = ®

I notice you have a European keyboard of some description. Try the same combinations or experiment.

What I do to discover the majority of characters is to place the cursor in some text then run my finger across the keyboard along each row with alternatively no supplementary key, the shift key, the option key and then the shift option keys held down. All is then revealed.

Peter

Aug 13, 2014 4:55 AM in response to sapper

sapper wrote:

many thanks, Peter. The keyboard was the one that came with my 1st G% iMac, so it may well be a 'European' standard for Mac's.

The hardware keyboard really doesn't matter. As long as you have your Input Source set to US, option plus g should produce ©. Are there any other keys where option does not work right? For example, option plus asdf should give you åß∂ƒ.

Aug 14, 2014 1:07 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom, I haven't tried any other key combinations. My keyboard is set to British, mainly because that's where I reside. I can select from British, British PC, French, German and Spanish from my toolbar dropdown list.

Option plus asdf gives me asdf. Even with the German keyboard selected, I still get asdf.

Many thanks for your reply.

How to type the copyright symbol on Mac pro keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.