Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

max 3200x1800 resolution on 4k monitor??

I got my Asus PB287Q 4k monitor yesterday and started using it with my Mac Pro (Late 2013). A few issues arise:

• If used alone, I get a max resolution of 3200x1800 @ 30Hz.
  • If I switch to DP1.2 in the monitor preferences, I get max 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, but then I get artefacts on the right hand side of the screen (apparently this is an Apple problem and is going to be resolved in 10.10), but effectively is useless
  • The only way to get max resolution of 3840x2160 @ 30Hz is to plug in an additional Full HD monitor via HDMI (I am not joking!)
  • There is no startup screen on the Asus (not really bothered by this)

What I would like to do is use the screen at max resolution simply on its own. 30Hz is absolutely fine for what I am currently doing.

I appreciate your help.

LL

OS X Mavericks (10.9), Yes, I still love my Newton...

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 6:27 AM

10 replies

Aug 12, 2014 7:02 AM in response to Long Lane

Please take a look at this - Mac Pro (Late 2013): Using multiple displays

This shows the different buses for TB and HDMI. You may want to spread monitors across different TB buses.

The only way to get max resolution of 3840x2160 @ 30Hz is to plug in an additional Full HD monitor via HDMI (I am not joking!)

You may be sharing the TB bus that is used for both the HDMI and 4K monitor.

Aug 12, 2014 8:32 AM in response to Loner T

Good thought. I tested it with the three different buses, same result.

Funny enough, just looked at my 'About This Mac':

User uploaded file

It shows the Aus as having 6400x3600 resolution, which is not correct.

Here is the screenshot of my Display Prefs:

User uploaded file

Both displays are driven from a D700 in slot 2:

User uploaded file

Also, when the screen comes back online (after sleeping, etc.) I might have the 3200x1800 resolution back up. I am using a DP 1.2 cable sourced from Amazon.com.

Aug 25, 2014 3:42 PM in response to Long Lane

I finally managed to get the screen going at 30Hz and full 4k resolution. I used a DP to HDMI cable for this. To get 60Hz, I need the mini DP to DP 1.2 cable. But this leads to tearing or artefacts on the right hand side.

Maybe I got the max resolution of 3800 x 1800 @ 30 Hz because I used a DP 1.2 cable with the DP 1.1 setting on the screen side?

Consensus on the web is, that the tearing is a driver related issue, as people who have started up from Windows on the Mac Pro (via Bootcamp) do not have the tearing issue. When I chatted w/ Apple Support, they stated. that 4k was still in its infancy and I should be seeing improvements in the not too distant future.

Thanks to Loner T for coming up with ideas.

LL

max 3200x1800 resolution on 4k monitor??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.