Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes is not opening

My Macbook Pro is unable to open iTunes. Today when i clicked on the icon, it showed the message 'iTunes quit unexpectedly while using iTunes plug-in'.. What the heck does it mean?? What should i do now?

iPhone 4, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 9:01 AM

3 replies

Aug 14, 2014 8:37 AM in response to chib73

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If you've already tried a complete uninstall and reinstall try opening iTunes in safe mode (hold down CTRL+SHIFT as you start iTunes) then going to Edit > Preferences > Store and turning off Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases. You may find iTunes will now start normally.

You could also try working through

TS1717: iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues

tt2

Aug 14, 2014 2:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

I can't really follow whats happed during the proposed update sequence. I will report my procedure, probaly you can explain to me what fixed the problem finally:

1) I am running windows 7 64bit version, patched by MS with current sw version

2) itunes was pacthed to most current version...and failed at startup..as windows identified that iTunes diesn't respond

3) I do not use iCloud iTunes services so there was nothing to deseclt at the preferneces

4) okay, yes, with safe mode I could check my iTunes settings for iCLoud use

5) so iTunes still fails...

6) so i followed the search for qtmovie....dll files... -> nothing found to be deletd

7) so I take acion to remove and deinstall appl sw as recommended by you...sucessful deletd, checked if files not delted, all deletd, just run additional reboot

8) iTunes with most cuttent version win 64bit installed

9) ...startup failed...as windows told me ...not responding...etc - same error as before

10) grrrr. so I started itunes in /safe mode... checked prefs ...nothing changed..iCloud wasn't checked

11) how to proceed ?

12) I switched off / unchecked then all store preferences at the store settings ... synch playback..., synch podcast, ..automatical download.., limit ad ..., shared details... then saved. and restarted iTunes in normal mode ...
13) iTunes started up without any errors - I CAN'T BELIEVE that !
14) so...then I go ahead,at the itunes preferences settings to swicthed/checked them as selected from top of the list (except of icloud<what I never have used> ..synch playback... saved- stopped iTuesn. started itunes/nomal mode ...no error enabled next settings ....as I had selected same settings as prior I had the "general issue" ...iTunes started all the time...git no errors as before

... ha ha ha..

15) Now ...what caused the issue now which was gone ?

rind regards

Thomas

Itunes is not opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.