Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A 100% AUTOMATIC text-reply / response option?

Is there a 100% AUTOMATIC text-reply option? I'm going on a vacation and want to completely unplug. However, while gone, I want my phone (left at home) to auto-text a reply back to anyone who sends me text, so they know I'm on vacation and who to contact instead.

All I've found this far in my searches are "auto" replies that require me to actually touch the screen to send the reply.

Setting change, or a paid-app will do. Just want the solution. Thank you

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:21 PM

This is about 3 years late, but I've found a way to create a 100% automatic text-reply and it's been saving my life as of late, so if anyone else has had this problem, here you go.

First off, your phone needs to be recent enough/updated enough to have the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" setting. Go to settings and then go to Do Not Disturb. Where it says "DO NOT DISTURB WHILE DRIVING" click activate, and select manually. Go back to the Do Not Disturb settings page, scroll all the way to the bottom, and where it says "Auto-reply to", select all contacts. Where it says "Auto-reply", you can personalize the automatic message that anyone who texts you will receive. I have it set so it says something like "I'm not checking my messages right now - I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

Next, go to Control Center in your settings. Click customize controls, and add "Do Not Disturb While Driving" to your control center. Make sure you can access your control center when your phone is locked.

Now, lock your phone. Open your control center and the button for "Do Not Disturb While Driving" should look like a little car. Press that and it should turn on. Test your auto-reply by having a friend text you and see what comes up.

Now, there are a few conditions to this working.

-Your phone can't die. If it dies, it'll stop sending the automatic reply and you'll have to turn it on when you charge your phone and it turns on again. If your phone isn't on you for a long period of time, this can be a problem.

-Your phone will send an automatic message that you can't change saying that if the message is urgent, the person can reply "urgent" and the message will come through. If you know you can't respond for an extended period of time, make sure to say that in your customizable auto-reply message.

Besides these few conditions, I've found this to be pretty foolproof.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 5:21 PM in response to kristenb83

This is about 3 years late, but I've found a way to create a 100% automatic text-reply and it's been saving my life as of late, so if anyone else has had this problem, here you go.

First off, your phone needs to be recent enough/updated enough to have the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" setting. Go to settings and then go to Do Not Disturb. Where it says "DO NOT DISTURB WHILE DRIVING" click activate, and select manually. Go back to the Do Not Disturb settings page, scroll all the way to the bottom, and where it says "Auto-reply to", select all contacts. Where it says "Auto-reply", you can personalize the automatic message that anyone who texts you will receive. I have it set so it says something like "I'm not checking my messages right now - I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

Next, go to Control Center in your settings. Click customize controls, and add "Do Not Disturb While Driving" to your control center. Make sure you can access your control center when your phone is locked.

Now, lock your phone. Open your control center and the button for "Do Not Disturb While Driving" should look like a little car. Press that and it should turn on. Test your auto-reply by having a friend text you and see what comes up.

Now, there are a few conditions to this working.

-Your phone can't die. If it dies, it'll stop sending the automatic reply and you'll have to turn it on when you charge your phone and it turns on again. If your phone isn't on you for a long period of time, this can be a problem.

-Your phone will send an automatic message that you can't change saying that if the message is urgent, the person can reply "urgent" and the message will come through. If you know you can't respond for an extended period of time, make sure to say that in your customizable auto-reply message.

Besides these few conditions, I've found this to be pretty foolproof.

Jul 10, 2017 6:21 PM in response to kristenb83

Not sure if this works but found these instructions.

Select Preferences.

1. Choose the Vacation tab at the top.
  2. Check the box that says, “Automatically reply to messages when they are received.”
  3. Type your auto reply email message in the box below.
  4. Click Done.

Aug 12, 2014 8:39 AM in response to razmee209

Thanks for the response.

I did search the app store as well with a few different varying words, and didn't really come up with what I was looking for. I attempted for about five minutes and then turned to the apple forum hoping someone else has dealt with this. It's surprising to me that it's not an option.

Do you have any input or knowledge perhaps about if I were to completely disable my text and/or SMS function on the phone: is this possible? And if done, would the text-sender be notified/aware that the message was not delivered?

Aug 12, 2014 12:57 PM in response to deggie

I found the solution! For Verizon users, there is an app that can be downloaded in the App Store. Just search the words 'Verizon messages.'

it has the ability to do a ton of things that I don't need, however if you download it and go to the settings area, it is very easy to set up an auto text reply that will reply automatically without you having your phone at all. And it also has a Calendar allowing you to set an end-date.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/products/verizon-messages.html

Aug 12, 2014 2:16 PM in response to kristenb83

kristenb83 wrote:

it has the ability to do a ton of things that I don't need,

It also has the rather interesting ability to let you sync your SMS messages to a tablet (iPhone or Android) and use your mobile number to send messages from that device as well. And, while you are abroad, should you have access to a computer and internet, you can log onto your Verizon account and send messages from your mobile number from a computer.

Sep 25, 2015 7:32 AM in response to kristenb83

I downloaded, deleted, and reloaded the Verizon Messages app and correctly set up auto-reply, but it never worked. I even stopped in a Verizon store and they didn't seem to understand what their auto-reply was supposed to do. I even tried turning off my iPhone Imessage to see if that worked, so that perhaps the auto-reply would kick in via SMS. Nothing.

So basically: I typed in an auto-reply message, turned auto-reply button on, and put the time for it to kick in. Nothing. I had several texts and asked if the testers received an auto-reply and they said, "No."

Any suggestions?

Meg St._Claire...do you know if the auto-reply actually works with iPhone? Thanks.

A 100% AUTOMATIC text-reply / response option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.