Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use one email address for two apple devices? (One iPad2 and one iMac.)

I've been trying to find this information by searching the web and I can't find a good answer.

Can I use myname@verizon.net for my "iPad AppleID" and use the same email address for my "iMac AppleID"?

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 1:07 PM

Ok this is a different question.

You do not need to set up a different apple-id for each apple-device.

You can use your first apple-id for all apple devices such as Mac, iPhone, or iPad, whatever the version of OS

15 replies

Aug 12, 2014 1:32 PM in response to monty90242

1. just use one of your Apple ID's. no importance which one and forget the second.
  2. You do not need your Apple ID to activate your mail account(s) on your device, activation happens in your mail app
  3. If you use the standard (default) mail app on your both devices you can choose to use :
  • gmail on your iMac
  • verizon on your iPad
  • vice versa
  • both mailaccounts on both devices

4. more details on Mail settings you might need from your email provider

5. Use IMAP if you've chosen to use both mailaccounts on both devices

Rik

Aug 12, 2014 1:03 PM in response to monty90242

You appear to be setting up a second AppleID on the Mac, which is why you get that error. And NO, you can't use the same email as the primary on two AppleIDs. Don't create a second one, log in on the Mac with the existing ID. (Unless you really feel you need to two ID, in whcih case you will need to find another email address to use).

http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/

http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/multipleaccounts/

Aug 12, 2014 1:28 PM in response to monty90242

if you haven't made any purchases with either ID yet, just pick the one that you really want to use and simply abandon the other one. You cannot delete Apple ID's, you have to just stop using it.

Then all that you need to do is to sign into that Apple ID in iTunes on the Mac and in the Settings on the iPad. In iTunes go to Store>Sign In. On the iPad go to Settings>iTunes and App Store>Apple ID and sign in.

Aug 12, 2014 12:46 PM in response to monty90242

I suggest to use IMAP on all devices and no Exchange

I am using my mailaccounts (all IMAP) on PC, Mac, Android- & iOS-devices

in fact, my accounts are Gmail.com, Telenet.be & icloud.com

On my PC I utilise Microsoft Office Outlook 2013 with the 3 mailaccounts installed as IMAP

On my Mac mini I utilise Mail provided by the OS (Mavericks) with the 3 mailaccounts installed as IMAP

On my Ipad (1) I utilise Mail provided by the iOS 5.1.1 with the 3 mailaccounts installed as IMAP

On my Android 4.1 pad I utilise Gmail with the 3 mailaccounts installed as IMAP

On my Nexus4 phone I utilise Gmail with the 3 mailaccounts installed as IMAP

As Calendar I have Google synchronised with the Mavericks calendar on my mac mini

All works perfect together

Rik

Aug 12, 2014 12:50 PM in response to monty90242

Assuming you are talking about actually using email accounts and not setting up AppleIDs - it is not quite clear from your posts thus far - yes, of course you can. However, many POP based email accounts will not allow multiple concurrent connections, meaning if you are already connected (have the map app open) on one device, you may be temporarily blocked on another. To resolve this, close the mail app on one device before accessing it on another, or find an IMAP based email provider (which will be far easier to mange on multiple devices anyway).

If you are talking about settings up email addresses on two different AppleIDs, no, you cannot.

Aug 12, 2014 1:03 PM in response to monty90242

your mail account has nothing to do with your apple id or device or even platform

you activate your mail account in your mail-app on your device, just pay attention you activate your account as IMAP and not as POP or Exchange

I suppose Verizon.net offers IMAP too?

citation from Wikipedia :

IMAP supports both on-line and off-line modes of operation. E-mail clients using IMAP generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them. This and other characteristics of IMAP operation allow multiple clients to manage the same mailbox. Most e-mail clients support IMAP in addition to Post Office Protocol (POP) to retrieve messages; however, fewer e-mail services support IMAP. IMAP offers access to the mail storage. Clients may store local copies of the messages, but these are considered to be a temporary cache.

Can I use one email address for two apple devices? (One iPad2 and one iMac.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.