Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my Mac location error

We have recently moved to a new location. Our Bigpond account was transferred to our new address but when using the 'find my IPhone' app it shows our old location. We have checked with Telstra and made sure our address has been changed. We have also updated our address with our Apple accounts. Find my Mac has been turned on within ICloud on the Mac. Is there anything we need to change on the router so that our correct address is shown when using the location app?

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 6:10 PM

I've read that Apple maintains a database of router locations based on iPhone information. You might want to go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services and make sure Diagnostics & Usage is turned on, then give it some time with your iPhone connected to your wifi. Hopefully that will update the database with a new location for your router. Might take a number of days for this to happen though. If you don't have an iPhone, invite some people over that have them and let them connect to your wifi.

This might be relevant, from iOS 7: Understanding Location Services:

"If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations."

You could probably confirm that this is the issue by going to a local McDonalds hotspot (or similar), connecting to their wifi, then using the Find My iPhone app to see if it shows your location correctly.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2014 6:10 PM in response to acra2480

I've read that Apple maintains a database of router locations based on iPhone information. You might want to go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services and make sure Diagnostics & Usage is turned on, then give it some time with your iPhone connected to your wifi. Hopefully that will update the database with a new location for your router. Might take a number of days for this to happen though. If you don't have an iPhone, invite some people over that have them and let them connect to your wifi.

This might be relevant, from iOS 7: Understanding Location Services:

"If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations."

You could probably confirm that this is the issue by going to a local McDonalds hotspot (or similar), connecting to their wifi, then using the Find My iPhone app to see if it shows your location correctly.

Aug 12, 2014 11:03 PM in response to randers4

Thank you randers4 for your help. We have checked that our iPhones (my wife and I each have an iPhone 5 and and an iPad) and the settings were turned on. Interestingly, the iPhones show up at our new location but the iPads and the iMac show up at the old location. Neither iPad has a sim card so the iPads and the iMac connect through the router.

We did turn on the Location Services for maps in the Security and Privacy tab on the iMac but we are not sure if it will make a difference.

Find my Mac location error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.