Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two finger swipe to go back in Safari isn't the same as clicking on the "show the previous page"

I don't know if Apple knows about this, but swiping on the trackpad with two fingers to go back to the previous page isn't exactly the same as physically clicking on the arrow button on Safari to go back to the previous page.

This is an issue because sometimes when I use the swipe gesture to go back, the previous page stays blank. Nothing shows up. But when I use the arrow button on Safari to go back, this isn't an issue.

I'm sure a lot of people have identified this problem, but I'm not sure if this has been reported to Apple.

Just like this:

User uploaded file

This may be due to the webpage not being fully compatible with Safari, but at least if Apple makes the swipe function work the same way as clicking on the left arrow button, this problem would be gone?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Safari

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 12:15 AM

4 replies

Aug 13, 2014 4:59 AM in response to bunny2817

It may not be just a trackpad issue ..

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If nothing above helped, troubleshoot Safari extensions.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

Aug 14, 2014 3:13 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, thank you for the reply.

I don't think this fixes the problem. If the cache was the issue, clicking on the back arrow on Safari wouldn't have solved the issue (showing a blank page.)

The arrow button on Safari and the two finger swipe to go back don't just work the same way.

It just happens only when you swipe to go back.

I think it's related to how Apple coded the finger swipe.

Finger swipe to go back and the physical button don't generate the same result. Many pages are just left blank if the swipe is used.

Two finger swipe to go back in Safari isn't the same as clicking on the "show the previous page"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.