Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection between Windows PC & Apple TV

I’m trying to help an elderly friend re-establish connection between his Apple TV and his Windows PC. He has installed iTunes on the PC and his Apple TV has been working correctly. Recently, he was advised to change out his modem & router by his Internet provider. After doing so, the connection between the PC & Apple TV no longer works. The Apple TV settings show that the signal strength for the WiFi is strong, but there is a message that says to turn on Home Sharing in iTunes. We have done this numerous times.

I believe that the problem is related to the change-out of the modem & router. I’m wondering if the problem could be resolved if we reset the Apple TV to factory settings and re-install the Apple TV.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 10:46 AM

A number of issues could be at play here I'd suggest only doing a factory reset as a last resort.

Here are potential issues.

1) Both devices are on the same network.

2) Both are connected to the same account.

3) Try restarting the Apple TV (this has worked for me before)

4) The PC is on, the Apple TV can't connect to the library otherwise.

5) Double check the computer has been added as a library it may have been removed during the process.

6) Restart iTunes and make sure its the latest version of iTunes.

Those are only but a few possible problems, check out the link below if you still battling.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2014 10:46 AM in response to macfactsescapeme

A number of issues could be at play here I'd suggest only doing a factory reset as a last resort.

Here are potential issues.

1) Both devices are on the same network.

2) Both are connected to the same account.

3) Try restarting the Apple TV (this has worked for me before)

4) The PC is on, the Apple TV can't connect to the library otherwise.

5) Double check the computer has been added as a library it may have been removed during the process.

6) Restart iTunes and make sure its the latest version of iTunes.

Those are only but a few possible problems, check out the link below if you still battling.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing

Aug 13, 2014 11:36 AM in response to Matt_Musikanth

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Regarding Suggestion No. 3 & 4, yes, we have restarted the Apple TV numerous times. The PC is definitely on and iTunes is running and we've turned on Home Sharing.

The guy I'm trying to help is 85 years old. I helped him hook this thing up several months ago, but he won't leave anything alone. I question whether or not he really needed to update his modem & router, but it's done and I can't change it. He writes down passwords and usernames in the oddest places, and he is one that tries to use the same password for multiple accounts. It is extremely frustrating for me to deal with.

And, I don't know what version of iTunes he is running. His iTunes was acting odd yesterday afternoon. After restarting the PC, I opened iTunes, only to see the iTunes screen jump up from the bottom of the page and disappear to my right. We had already restarted the PC a couple of times, and this did not happen then. But, the last time, it did happen. At this point I left. This morning, I talked to him and he said another friend told him how to "grab" the screen and pull it back into view. I don't know how he did it or why it happened in the first place.

He mentioned updating iTunes, but he was afraid to try it, in case he lost his library. Not sure why he thought that might happen.

I'm going to print out your suggestions and take them with me when I go back next week. Thanks again.

Aug 13, 2014 2:21 PM in response to macfactsescapeme

Okay, I just got off the phone with him. I had do what you said:

On the Apple TV - Settings -> Computers -> Turn on Home Sharing -> Login with the same Apple ID

After going to Settings/Computers, it said Home Sharing was on. I had him turn it off. Then, had him select Settings/Computers again, and turn ON Home Sharing. He said it asked him if he wanted to use his username or logon or whatever, and he said yes. He said it then changed to Home Sharing On. It did not ask him for an iTunes password, which I thought it should.

Anyway, I told him to get out of settings and go to the "Computer" tab above settings on the Main Menu. He did this and it told him he needed to turn on Home Sharing.

I can't figure out what's going on unless it goes back to his changing out the modem & router.

By the way, thanks for your patience. I can tell you have a lot more than I do.

Connection between Windows PC & Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.