Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your payment method has been declined"

I went to change my bank account details on iTunes, but the message "your payment method has been declined" keeps popping up every time I try and submit the change. I don't know why this is as my card is valid and activated (I have used it to purchase clothes online recently) and I have tripled checked that my details are correctly typed in. Is this an iTunes or a bank problem?

ASUS laptop-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 12:23 PM

7 replies

Aug 13, 2014 12:31 PM in response to helenclegg

What type of card are you trying to use as your payment method, credit card or debit card ? Debit cards don't appear to still be accepted in all countries, and even where they are it seems (from posts on here) that not all work - this page includes :

You may be able to use other payment types in your country, like debit and Maestro cards.

which implies that they are not accepted in all countries, and there have been a number of posts about them being declined.

For a card to have a chance of being accepted it needs to be registered to exactly the same name and address (including format and spacing etc) that you have on your iTunes account, and have been issued by a bank in the country where you and your iTunes account are. If it is then you could check with the card issuer to see if it's them that are declining it, and if not then try contacting iTunes Support (these are user-to-user forums) and see if they know why it's being declined (but you might not be able to use a debit card) : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page, then Account Management

Aug 13, 2014 12:43 PM in response to King_Penguin

I have used a debit card before with iTunes and have never had this problem. One day I just tried to download an app (it was free) and it said that I had to update my bank account details, and then when I tried to type them in, it kept saying "payment method declined". I have just check my bank account online and everything is perfectly fine, so I don't know what is going on...

Aug 13, 2014 12:46 PM in response to helenclegg

It seems that they're are no longer accepted in some countries where they used to be, updating the card may have triggered that on your account - the details on your iTunes account match, exactly, the details that the card is registered to ? You could check with your card issuer and/or iTunes Support to see where the error is coming from

"Your payment method has been declined"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.