Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari adds extra .TXT extension

In Mavericks 10.9.4 using Safari 7.0.5 and (more recently) 7.0.6, when I download a PDF file, Safari adds an extra .txt extension to some file names (not all), causing the files to open in TextEdit instead of Adobe Reader. I have deleted and reinstalled the latest Adobe Reader. I can open the file correctly as a PDF file if I delete the spurious .txt from the end of the file name, but this requires me to change the name of the downloaded file every time it happens. Is there a general fix?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Safari 7.0.6

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 10:12 AM

2 replies

Aug 14, 2014 12:01 PM in response to McMunn

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Aug 14, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks, Carolyn. I tried all your suggestions (extensions and plug-ins) and nothing helped. The particular files that get the extra .txt extension download OK in Mac OS X 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.10 and in FireFox, but the only way to get them to open as PDF files in OS X 10.9.4/Safari 7.0.6 is to manually delete the .txt extension from the file name. The same web site has other PDF files created by the same programmer that have no problems and do not get the extra .txt extension. When I open the .txt file in TextEdit I find that most of it looks like compiled code, but toward the end I find comments indicating that the file was created in Windows by Adobe PDFMaker 7.0 for Word. Are there known issues in opening this type of file in the newest Apple OS X and Safari? Thanks in advance.

Safari adds extra .TXT extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.