Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

browser has been blocked by FBI

In my mac book safari browser has been blocked by FBI. I can't reset browser because option "reset" in safari menu grey out. How to unblock it?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Safari browser

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 10:49 AM

12 replies

Aug 14, 2014 12:15 PM in response to mkobyl

It's not malware. It's a JavaScript scam that only affects your web browser, and only temporarily.

1. Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the returnkey and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

2. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

3. If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Oct 13, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Timchap

One other caveat, there seems to be other websites willing to 'help' remove this from your computer,they will state that even though your browser is unlocked the program is still running inside and will eventually slow down and disable the system. Blogs such as You Care offer 'support' to help you get rid of this so called virus. I suggest relying on help from Apple support groups such as this one.

browser has been blocked by FBI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.