Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network popup prevents configure or connect to wireless network. PowerBook G4 Mac)S X 10.4.11

Background info: Laptop is Mac OS X 10.4.11. Laptop was originally set to new wireless network by new Internet provider as was my iPad. I haven't used laptop in a month or so.

However, when I tried to access Internet last week on the laptop, I received the following pop up window, which then prevented access to the window below which has the Network function to configure or connect. I've called Internet provider twice and they say it is an issue with my computer since my iPad can access the Internet.

Network pop up window:

Your network settings have been changed by another application.

When I click OK on that network pop up window, it automatically comes back before I can access the Network window below to manually configure/connect to my wireless network. That pop up window will not allow me to access Systems Preferences, Location, Network.

How do I manually connect to my wireless network when this network pop up window prevents me from accessing any network functions?

Thank you

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 10:56 AM

1 reply

Aug 15, 2014 8:00 AM in response to elmo01

The bigger question is the age of your Powerbook: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413

If it is too old for Airport Extreme, then you can only use the more insecure 802.11b networking and outside people can tie up your network, unless you add a ethernet WiFi bridge. If it is using Airport Extreme, you'll need to set your network to have both 802.11g and 802.11n, and not just 802.11n, or 802.11ac for the Powerbook to connect. To determine what your Powerbook is compatible with, see this article:

AirPort Extreme Card: Compatible Macs

Use WPA2 encryption if you have Airport Extreme.

Your network on 802.11g will be limited to 33 Mbps.

Network popup prevents configure or connect to wireless network. PowerBook G4 Mac)S X 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.