Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to type with Mac - w Motion 5.1.1

Lately, since the 5.1.1 update, after using Motion for several minutes, my MACBook Pro keyboard does not function - I cannot type. I'm using OSX 10.9.4. Even if I kill Motion, the keyboard continues not to function. It is only System reboot that gets the keys to function again. If I do not use Motion I do not see the issue. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Keyboard does not function

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 1:54 PM

2 replies

Aug 16, 2014 6:48 AM in response to Vermont North

Hey Vermont North,

Here is an article that will help you address this keyboard issue:

One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1381

No keys work on an external Apple keyboard

• If you use a wireless Bluetooth keyboard, make sure it is turned on when the computer starts up. You may need to check the battery levels, too. See this article for more troubleshooting information.
  • Disconnect and reconnect your keyboard. Make sure that the connector is completely inserted into the port. (USB plugs fit into ports one way only, and won't allow you to make a connection if you try to connect them upside-down.) Test the keyboard again.
  • Connect your keyboard to a different USB port.
  • Try a different keyboard with your computer if possible, or your keyboard with a different Mac.
  • Try logging into a different user account. If the issue does not occur when logged into a different user account, then troubleshoot for software issues.
  • Open Accessibilty or Universal Access preferences (in System Preferences) and click the Mouse tab. Verify thatMouse Keys is Off, as shown below. (With Mouse Keys on you can use the keyboard or the numeric keypad keys to move the mouse, however normal keyboard functionality will be disabled until the Mouse Keys feature is turned off.)

User uploaded file

In addition to these steps, I would recommend that you un-pair and re-pair your keyboard, if it is a Bluetooth keyboard. Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

Aug 16, 2014 7:18 AM in response to braden85

Braden85,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am not using a Bluetooth Keyboard, rather the keyboard that is periodically non-responsive is in MacPro. That said, I checked into Accessibility and found the options mentioned above turned off.

I deleted the Motion File that I was working with and started anew. So far the keyboard issue has not returned. Strange......

Matt

Unable to type with Mac - w Motion 5.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.