Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very high network traffic to printer

I am seeing very high network traffic between my Mac (iMac, running Mavericks) and my printer, a Canon MP640, connected via Ethernet. This is when the printer is idle. According to Little Snitch, the traffic is on the order of about 50 kB/s! The network traffic comes from mDNSresponder, and is directed to canonmp640.local; it is using UDP port 5353, which seems to be the mDNS port (again, according to Little Snitch). The traffic of course goes away if the printer is off, but it needs to remain on because it is being used as a printer for other computers/devices around the house.

Is this amount of network traffic for an idle printer normal? Anyone has any idea how to stop it from doing that? I even captured some of that traffic using Little Snitch, but nothing that provided any insight to me...

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion!

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 2:03 PM

1 reply

Very high network traffic to printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.