Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Input source language keeps changing on Mac OS X 10.9.4

First time posting on this site so hopefully I am posting it in the right place. Apologies if not. I've been having issues with my MacBook Pro (15-inch, mid 2009). I have my input source language set as "Irish"; however, as of today any time I log in (after the computer has been shut down) the input source language has switched itself to "U.S.", and I have to go and change it back to "Irish".

I haven't changed anything major as of late. The only thing I can think of is that I accidently clicked a link in a spam email which linked to a "Linkbucks" site which then had a "skip this ad" button which again I foolishly clicked which in turn led to a JPG image of someone's Facebook. I googled "Linkbucks" and read that it is a web browser hijacker virus which can then change your settings etc.

I ran Clamx Av to see if anything of that sort was on my computer, but nothing came up. Am I just being paranoid here thinking some Linkbucks virus has infected my computer? How do I stop the computer from constantly resetting the input language on power-off? Any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 3:42 PM

26 replies

Aug 14, 2014 4:44 PM in response to gaeluirbeach

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info in Finder (or just Show Info)

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

☞ Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?

☞ In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?

☞ What is the Modified date?

If you don't have read and write access to the item, change the settings as directed here. Note, however, that if one file has wrong access settings, most likely others do as well. If the item is locked, unlock it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it (command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Aug 15, 2014 1:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis.

Thanks for the reply. I followed the above steps and found the following;

☞ Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section? Yes, it says I can "read & write".

☞ In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked? No it's not checked.

☞ What is the Modified date? The modified date reads "Yesterday 23:07"

Aug 15, 2014 8:11 AM in response to Linc Davis

"Remove US from the list of active input sources and test" Tried. I did it a few times. I take away the US option then add Irish and Irish extended (tried one at a time also) but when I boot up I find that the language has switched back to US and has even removed both Irish and Irish extended and added US in their place leaving it as the only option.

Aug 15, 2014 8:43 AM in response to gaeluirbeach

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Create a new account in the Users & Groups preference pane, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Aug 15, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

I tried TEST 1: Created another non-admin account. When I logged in the language was "Irish" and did not change when I restarted (I restarted and shutdown several time to be sure).

TEST 2 : I then tried test two following the instructions above. When I logged in via safe mode the language input was "Irish". I then removed the few login items listed (as per the safe mode instructions you linked me to). I then restarted sevral times normally and all reboots since have "Irish" not "US" as the input source language.

Aug 16, 2014 3:57 AM in response to Linc Davis

There were three altogether. One (which i cant remember the exact name of now) was an apple one. The second was "Reader for Mac" a Sony app for an e-reader and the third was "bamboo dock" which is for a Wacom Bamboo peripheral graphic tablet. Which I installed the other day. Do you think it could have been the latter of the three causing the issue?

Aug 18, 2014 3:56 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi.

I do have the same problem as gaeluirbeach with Mavericks 10.9.4 on my MacBookPro : each time we come to the starting window (the one where we choose among the users accounts for opening a session), the language is by default French of France instead of French Canadian (CSA).

As you probably know, the keyboard in Canada is a QWERTY one, which isn't the case in France. So we have to change the keyboard attribution before logging.
This bug never happened with previous versions of Mavericks, nor with previous systems; it doesn't happen neither on my iMac (with Mavericks 10.9.4).
For sure, we made localizations on each account through the System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Advanced, to have Canada measurements, etc. as environment.

Bizarrely, this wrong by default choice of keyboard at starting up does not occur when starting with alt-key ; the logging is then interpreted correctly as being coded on by a CSA keyboard (because it works) and after opening the safety Mavericks partition, the CSA icon keyboard appears in the menu bar (along with the USA keyboard as the other favorite one). I chose Utility Disk and made disk and permissions reparations, but the bug still remains when I restart the MacBookPro (without alt-key).

So I followed the steps described above by Linc Davis (mainly suppressing items activated when opening a session) but the bug still remains.

Thanks for reading and help.

Aug 24, 2014 4:06 AM in response to Linc Davis

You think mine is also a bug? I've had Mavericks for a while now with no problems and this just started happening out of nowhere. It seems to have fallen into a pattern. If I change the language back to "Irish" it will stay as such for maybe two days after which it'll switch itself back to "US". There is an apple place up the road from me that do repairs and the like, think my best bet is just to bring it in?

Input source language keeps changing on Mac OS X 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.