Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dont want to activate cellular data yet, but cant turn off data warning without turning off WiFi

I recently bought an iPad Mini with cellular capabilities in case I needed it one day. I would've gotten an iPad Mini with just WiFi, but thought It might come in handy when I might need the cellular service, saving me from buying another iPad. Guess what, I can not turn off the data error message that keeps popping up. If I turn it off, I cannot get WiFi. Its over the 14 day return period. I'm stuck; Apple *****. I understand marketing but this is extremely annoying and makes it difficult for me to have simple choices without hassles. At $550 I shouldn't have to put up with this strong arm nonsense. Apple needs to make a fix for this and stop alienating their customers. First and last iPad for me.

Any simple fixes, other than buying a new WiFi based iPad?

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 9:18 PM

3 replies

Aug 14, 2014 10:25 PM in response to ios decipher

Thank you. This seems to be the answer to my problem. Apologies to Apple are in order.

The error message says the pop-up can be turned off, however, it goes on to say by doing so it will turn off the Wi-Fi, emails, etc. etc. Yeah, I know I look stupid, but what is a new user to think other than it will disable the Wi-Fi?...and that Apple is up to unscrupulous marketing. Is one supposed to make some magical leap of understanding that it will not actually turn off your wi-fi too? It says it will, but it doesn't say "hey moron, don't be alarmed, the ipad will still work off your wi-fi connection...umm...it's separate.

Yeah I should've just tried it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I dont want to activate cellular data yet, but cant turn off data warning without turning off WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.