Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac keeps on asking me for keychain passwords ...which I have either forgotten or never used

hi

NOT VERY FAMILIAR WITH MY ";NEW MAC" - IT KEEPS ON ASKING ME FOR KEYCHAIN PASSWORD WHENEVER I REBOOT ...

I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM THAT WHEN I SWITCH MY MAC OFF THAT MY E-MAIL DOES NOT ALLOW FOR SHUT DOWN

PLS HELP ... IN PLAIN ENGLISH LANGUAGE NOT A "FUNDI" IN PC LANGUAGE

THANKS

MARYNA

or e-mail me

<edited by host>

iMac, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 2:23 AM

3 replies

Aug 15, 2014 7:34 AM in response to ctbusiness

The Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access application allows you to manage keychains, and ensure they aren't damaged.

If you forgot your admin password needed to fix the keychain, here's how to reset it:

OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

To fix the e-mail issue, open the Activity Window from the Window menu and make sure all the tasks are done before quitting.

Note, if you are using anti-virus, Little Snitch, or MacKeeper these programs may also interfere with shutdown. The only anti-virus

that doesn't really affect shutdown and other things are Sophos and ClamAV. Others are more obtrusive in their behavior.

Little Snitch should only be used if you suspect an application is calling home that shouldn't be for any other reason than managing your license for it. Otherwise it is going to occupy your other network processes and slow you down.

The worst is MacKeeper, which you don't need at all, and can cause issues like your Keychain issue as well. Removing it is described here:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3036

P.S. Please, unless your keyboard Caps Lock key is stuck, do not use UPPERCASE. In internet speak, it means you are shouting.

My mac keeps on asking me for keychain passwords ...which I have either forgotten or never used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.