Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't connect to wireless printer

I have just had to replace my old iMac with a newer model and update to Mavericks and all that. However, when I try to set up to print, it connected at first and then the next day it gave me the "printer is not online" message. I reconnected the printer (Canon MX430) through the LAN set up and it says it is connected to the router (Virgin Media Super Hub 1), but it still shows as Offline on my Mac, and for another PC laptop in the house.

Does this sound like a printer problem, router problem or a Mac one?

Baffled 😕

iMac

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 3:49 AM

4 replies

Dec 20, 2014 12:31 AM in response to stephenfromsurbiton

HI Stephen and others

i had a similar issue wheni purchased a HP Envy 5530 print and tried to connect it wirelessly to my imac. The printer immediately connected to the wireless network allowing me to print from my iphone and ipad etc but my imac would not recognise it. After trying a number of different approaches suggested from forums and applecare the issue was resolved from a suggestion from a tech guy at pcworld where the computer was purchased from.

basicallyhe unofficially told me that the mcafee security system has a habit of blocking wireless peripherals from connecting. All i had to do was:

1. Temporarily turn off mcafee

2. Go back to printer settings and add in printer which was now recognised

3. Turn mcafee back on and reboot computer

4. In addition i also changed the mcafee setting from public to home/work on the suggestion of someone online and it so far appears to have worked!

I Don't exactly understand what the issue with mcafee is but this seems to resolve it

hope this helps

regards

jez

Dec 27, 2014 7:54 AM in response to the machine rages on

I know this issue is solved but I want to add my experience with the HP Envy 5530. I also had connections issues with this printer, it would connect to my wireless network but my Mac and a windows laptop(work pc) could not find the printer on the network. I also wasn't able to ping the IP address. After some searching on HP's support website I found an article for another model and in short HP support response was that the printer was not compatible with an AC router. I have an Airport Extreme (tower) that runs my home network and no other routers. I am running in dual band for both 2.4 and 5GHz and each band has it's own SID.

I was ready to return the printer but I sat and tried to come up with a solution which I did and it works. What I did was to take my older AirPort Extreme and configured it to extend my network. I then reset the network settings on the printer and then connected it back to the network. Using Airport utility I saw that the printer was connected the older AirPort. It was assigned the same IP address and I was able to ping the printer IP and set up the printer IP port. It now works on my network and I am able to connect and print from my Mac and window laptop(work pc). I am also able to print via my iOs devices using AirPrint.

I hope this helps others who might have the same issue as me.

iMac won't connect to wireless printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.