Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 vs 5S Capacity

Recently observed two differences in the storage capacities of my 5 and 5S. The following pictures speak for themselves:

This one is the screen shot of 5S

User uploaded file

And the one following is from my iPhone 5:

User uploaded file

if you notice the capacity, while both are 16gb versions, one has 12.8gb while the other has 13.2gb. While I know the difference of 16gb and 12.8/13.2gb is majorly on account of difference of measurement system (1000/1024 mb) and default apps taking some space, but what surprised me is the difference of 12.8 and 13.2 gb. Where have the additional 400mb lost?

Similarly, when connected to the iTunes, the "Others" of my 5S takes 1.3gb while the "Others" of 5 shows only 300 mb??

Both the phones are configured same and carry similar apps and settings.

It would be nice if someone can explain the reason for the above two difference in the capacity.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 4:16 AM

10 replies

Aug 15, 2014 4:31 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks for the ^^^ reply!!!

While i understand the difference in the chip, (pardon my ignorance) but I fail to understand how would that change the "capacity" of the phone from 13.2gb to 12.8gb.

Also, while both the phones are configured similar, the reason for difference in storage space taken by "others" is beyond my understanding.

It would be nice if you would please explain it a little further!!!!

iPhone 5 vs 5S Capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.