Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesn't recognize photo library

iPhoto asks me to choose library. There is no library in the list, and when browsing for it, I can find a number of libraries numbered - that has been used before. However, when choosing any of these nothing happens but the Chose-button keeps jumping up and down indefinitely.

How can I sort this out?

I have installed Photoshop Elements 12, maybe this is interfering? On the other hand - first time it happened was before PSE was installed...

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 3:42 PM

18 replies

Aug 15, 2014 4:06 PM in response to lr-80

Have you recently updated to a new iPhoto version or MacOS X version? What versions are you using?

Where are your iPhoto libraries stored? In your Pictures folder or somewhere else?

What else happened, before the problem with iPhoto first occurred? Did you install new software, other than PSE? Did you move your iPhoto libraries? Run cleaning apps, to save space?

Aug 20, 2014 1:00 AM in response to léonie

iPhoto: 9.5.1 (902.17)

MacOS X version 10.9.4

Upon opening iPhoto, it asks me what photo library I want to use. At the left hand bottom there is a box saying (translated by me from Norwegian):

"iPhoto cannot start without a photo library. Select a library from the list, find another library on the machine, or create a new library to import files into. The library you chose now, will be used automatically next time you open iPhoto."

Then there is a box with no libraries listed, and underneath I've got the options of creating a new library or simply clicking "other library".

First time this happened I created a new library and thus there are 2 libraries: iPhoto-library and iPhoto-library_2 to chose from when clicking "Other library" There is also a non-selectable (grey) "Photo Booth-library" in the same list, which is in the path user/Photos/iPhoto-library or .../iPhoto-library2. But when clicking either of these the "open" button just keeps flashing indefinitely. Upon trying to open iPhoto-library or iPhoto-library_2 from Finder, it just opens iPhoto and prompting me to chose library like before...

The only thing that I changed (I think) is that I installed PSE 12.

Aug 20, 2014 1:21 AM in response to léonie

When I double click iPhoto-library from Finder, iPhoto opens but nothing more happens. It still can't find any library.

I'm new to mac, so don't quite understand the folder structure. But when clicking my user in Finder, it gives me the following folders: Photos, Documents, Shared, Movies, Music, Downloads, Desktop, Adobe Photoshop Elements 12, Applications.

The iPhoto-library/iPhoto-library_2 that cannot be opened, is in the Photos folder listed above.

I cannot find my photos from this folder. But all my photos are present when clicking Photos in Finder Favorites - just harder to navigate with preview than iPhoto.

Aug 20, 2014 3:15 AM in response to lr-80

Which language is your system set to? The default folder for photos should be called "Pictures" with English system settings. It may have a different name, if your language is different. The folder should display in the Finder sidebar like this:

User uploaded file

And your iPhoto libraries like this:

User uploaded file

Does your library show with this icon?

Aug 20, 2014 3:35 AM in response to lr-80

Then your libraries are correctly installed, but your iPhoto application may have problems. Perhaps you are trying to run an older iPhoto.app hiding somewhere on your mac or network.

Does your iPhoto icon in the Dock look like this? In green and cyan colors, and not sunset colored?

User uploaded file iPhoto in the Applications folder should look like the icon above. Try to launch iPhoto from the Applications folder.

Can you at least create a new library when you launch iPhoto from Applications and not from the Dock?

Can you create a new library and work with iPhoto, when you sign into a different user account, for example the Guest account? You can enable that account from the Users&Groups settings in the system preferences. This test will tell you, if some settings in your current account are preventing iPhoto from working properly or if the iPhoto Application or the system need reinstalling.

Aug 20, 2014 3:42 AM in response to léonie

I run the newest available iPhoto app, looking like the cyan you show. There is no difference when running from Dock or Applications. My library is now being recreated, but takes some time with my 20000+ photos (I bought the iMac among other things for organizing and editing my photo - eventually deleting all the rubbish photos).

Will try signing in with another account when library is rebuilt. Thank you for all your help!

Oct 21, 2014 5:09 AM in response to léonie

Hy, Léonie...

I have the same issue... or similar.

My first/old library "IPhoto Library Antigas" is on my Time Capsule (because I don't have enough free space on my macbook air). I have no idea why it is a package and not a Photo Library.

User uploaded file

My iphoto Version is 9.5.1 and my OSX is 10.9.5.

The other library named as "Iphoto Library Casamento" is ok.

Do You have any idea for helping me?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014 11:51 AM in response to Old Toad

It's not possible to open the Antigas Library. 😟 The same problem... When I try switch libraries the Iphoto doesn't recognized the Antigas library.

I've just did what you said to others libraries.

Anything else I can do?

What you think?

iPhoto doesn't recognize photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.